PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 12:35 

I hope you can do better than that ;)

Attachments:
example_cargoship_deck2.png
example_cargoship_deck2.png [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 7662 times ]
example_cargoship_deck1.png
example_cargoship_deck1.png [ 1.88 MiB | Viewed 7662 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 13:16 

Very cool! This is still from an earlier version and without tubes, but I'd really love to share it. I went for crew logistics as well as space reduction. This ain't no luxury liner, this is a working vessel!

(1) I've avoided the use of corridors for this functional spaceship and tried to optimise the use of space by using rooms for moving through (although I am not sure this actually /works/ for fuel tanks, but then I see no way for mechanics to operate them; so I've assumed there is some sort of walkway possible through them. (2) I've tried to keep the dangerous parts (read, fuel tanks) either away from important operational parts of the plane or away from the hull, but didn't always find this possible though I'm sure some moving around will help. Most importantly though I have considered (3) logistical movement through the ship. Having served on a ship I know how important quick response is, as well as how dreadful it is to work in one end of the ship and live in another; therefore the bridge is central to the ship, surrounded by the crew quarters and galley (one deck below). Working quarters radiate outwards from there, insofar as possible. Oh yeah, and of course lifepods are also nearby.

Attachments:
File comment: Belowdeck
Simpa Carrier Mk II_deck2.jpg
Simpa Carrier Mk II_deck2.jpg [ 103.29 KiB | Viewed 7628 times ]
File comment: Top
Simpa Carrier Mk II_deck1.jpg
Simpa Carrier Mk II_deck1.jpg [ 112.61 KiB | Viewed 7628 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 22:46 

First design with new version. i made an exit at the nose of B1 and stairs right next to it. 1 water-supply and 1 air-supply are taken offline but power can support them without reaching max power, so engines arnt maxed out on normale shift. also added some armour next to critical sections (bridge,lifesupport,computercore..). crew (specialy techs) is far away from a size to run everything smouthly... guess techs will have to run through the ship 24/7 to keep it working. didnt try out cooling on this design...its a cargo ship...guess they will be fine without cooling.
had to shrink pictures..max 256 KiB filesize.
Attachment:
Sport_deck1c.jpg
Sport_deck1c.jpg [ 224.33 KiB | Viewed 7597 times ]

Attachment:
Sport_deck2c.jpg
Sport_deck2c.jpg [ 213.1 KiB | Viewed 7597 times ]

PostPosted: Thu 10. Jan 2013, 13:14 

I think it will be possible to run a ship with very limited cooling by switching off rooms to avoid overheating and sharing cooling units - but I don´t think it will be possible to have no cooling at all. But there was no way for you to know that of course. ;)

PostPosted: Tue 12. Feb 2013, 21:26 

The ship needs like one more floor!

my current floors are such a great design, utilied every possible piece of space. just no room for air tanks :P

{ PooIsEaten = false; }