Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 14:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 31. Dec 2013, 19:20 

Presenting my solution to the small cargoship contract.
Upper deck consists of cargoholds, fueltanks and EEVs. Movement in this area is somewhat difficult and I am thinking about redesigning this area to allow quicker crew movement. But on the other hand, there won't be much movement there unless an emergency arises.

The Lower deck is much more organized with a single corridor running from the front of the ship to the back. This area will see much movement and action since all essential modules are located on this deck.

All decks have individual powering and cooling and are thus independent from eachothers (hey, it's 0.16, no other option, right? ;) ). All modules can be powered at the same time, there is no need to power down any rooms unless a generator goes offline. There is also room for some extra medics (I would have prefferred extra Techs, but medics gave me some extra rating, Techs did not). The ship is also fitted with some partial armorplating around essential areas (mainly to the front).

Pros:
Upper deck consists mainly of low maintenance storage areas and won't require much attention.
Lower deck is highly organized and allows quick movement for all crewmembers. Most workareas are grouped togeather (ex: Bridge and computer core) to allow quick maintenance.
Extra medics can be assigned for whatever reason you wish.

Cons:
Not enough EEVs for all crewmembers. In an emergency, only 10 crewmembers can be evacuated.
No galley.
Somewhat slow movement on the upper deck.

Things I want to do, but the budget won't allow it:
More EEVs of course!
A galley.
Thrusters.
Replace most generators with EMCs.
Shield generators (if possible).

Last edited by Shazi on Thu 2. Jan 2014, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 31. Dec 2013, 22:43 

It's a wonderful design, my only change to it would be to completely do away with corridors on B1 in exchange for military crew and armories for defensive purposes because let's be honest: the only crew NOT expected to survive an evacuation is the ones holding off the invaders (assuming the invaders aren't asteroids XD) therefore you don't need EEV For them and frankly because the ship size is so small crew mobility is more convenience than necessity, I'm not saying it wouldn't help but I'd prefer the extra defensive strength over the agility.

All in all a very solid design, I hope it survives the changes all the way to 1.0 so I can... TEST it... >:3 (which I won't because power and cooling transfer parts will be introduced next build I think XD)

PostPosted: Tue 31. Dec 2013, 23:16 

I had been playing with that idea myself. However i doubt an armory would fit into the existing powergrid (Haven't tested it though). Military units is something I would have liked to add aswell, though I do want to keep the corridor (I'm thinking of future emergency excersises when speed will actually count for something). I do think that if you'd rearrange some of the rooms a small military quarter could be added. I'm not sure if it would add to the rating though (but on the other hand, having a few military units could be a godsend on some emergency drills like boardings etc).

I will play around a little more ;)

EDIT: Adding a mil quarter busts the crew cap, adding an armory busts the budget and removing the sickbay (to afford the armory) busts the rating.

If we are ignoring the rating then a viable design with a small military quarter and an armory can be built if removing the sickbay and adding no more than one medic (one medic should be enough to keep the Life-support and water treatment going though). Though personally i feel that lacking a sickbay is more than I'd want to pay for adding an armory...

PostPosted: Wed 1. Jan 2014, 13:32 

hmm i can see only two tech crew S but a med crew L. its a complete fail i think because you will need 4 techs permanent for the engine romm only.
try to run the basic mission!!!
try to replace all rooms with more than 3 techs needed (easier handling during misson)
try to place crewquaters near to workspace and put rooms with same crew together (good, almost done)

PostPosted: Wed 1. Jan 2014, 14:08 

That's what I said earlier, I'd like to replace the extra medics with extra Techs, but that will cause the build to loose rating.
I have already done the basic operation mission with no problems whatsoever. One tech occationally patrols the upper and lower deck to maintain all storage areas. a Three man Tech crew takes care of the larger modules (large and medium generator, large cooling etc) when neccesary, in between these patrols all Techs are in the Engine-room maintaining the Engines.

The only thing that happens is that the Engineroom looses some efficency when a Tech is on patrol, no big deal, they bring the efficency back up when they return...

PostPosted: Wed 1. Jan 2014, 18:36 

I'm not sure if the crew cap is one of those things that is set in stone for a contract like the price tag is though I may be wrong but you wouldn't need much for military, maybe 4 for a ship that size? but yeah, having medics is a bit of a pain because you don't want to lose that rating for not having them but they aren't much use unless they are in an emergency.

I haven't bothered with this ship design yet because I'm waiting for power and cooling transfer but when it comes around I just may have to use the B2 deck in my design, it's still very well made no matter how I look at it XD (though I may change all the cargo rooms to make them all parallel but we'll see XD)

PostPosted: Wed 1. Jan 2014, 21:00 

the crew cap and low budget is challenge of this contract and i like it.
don't mind the rating so far. you can't build a low cost cargo ship with half the equipment of a battlecruiser.
the rating calculation is verry easy: sum of all room's points in the ship. so if the fuselage is to smal there's no chance for a operational, full star ship.

PostPosted: Thu 2. Jan 2014, 14:35 

Right! Have updated this ship with the new .18 Power Connections. This solved a whole bunch of issues...

New stuff:
Redone layout on both decks
Two extra Techs added
One medic removed
One more EEV (enough for the entire crew)

Have done all available missions.
Standard operation yielded a mediocre result due to the crewsize (will re-do this with a smaller crew)
Yellow Alert yielded a good result. All crews were suited up and at their locations in mere seconds.
Asteriod encounter yielded a good result, though it can get better. Frontal EEVS took quite a beating and required repairs multiple times, one was destroyed completely (got hit by no less than three big asteroids within 10 seconds). Might consider moving one or two EEVS to the upper rear deck behind the fuel tank.

And some images:

Ow, and I actually have some cash to spend on additional armor... but hey, I wanna make some profit aswell :P

PostPosted: Fri 3. Jan 2014, 13:57 

It's a beautiful design I am quite impressed; my only "issue" with it is that those two cooling Ms at the front of B1 are going to get slaughtered right quick and that might cause the ship to overheat very easily.

you might consider, if you have the room and power, to replace that EEV at the front of B1 with a shield gen and remove some armor from the front to compensate because as long as the shield gen is repaired and maintained it will protect you but as of the moment if armor is destroyed it is destroyed for good.

PostPosted: Fri 3. Jan 2014, 17:03 

I will look into it. I know the current powergrid won't allow much more to be added, but if I can squeeze in a small generator somewhere then a frontal shield would be possible (budget is a bit stretched aswell if I remember correctly, but adding a shield allows for removal of armor, so some Money can be recovered there)

UPDATE:
Have been playing around a bit, and as it turned out, getting enough Power for the shieldgen was the simplest problem... the real issue is the 300k price. I am thinking about building a more "unfriendly" version of this cargoship. Basicly I will be ditching all EEVs and the sickbay in favor for one frontal shieldgen on each deck (yeah, I'll probably have to ditch more than that :? ) . It should increase the survivability of the ship quite a bit... but if things go bad the crew will have no means of treating injuries or evacuating the ship, so morale will most likely be an issue.

If I make any success on the subject I'll post it in a separate thread as it will most likely be considered an entirely new class :P