Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 12:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crew Management Progress
PostPosted: Tue 12. Mar 2013, 22:09 

I had to rebuild all the crew-action and waypoint functionality from the prototype, but now it is slowly beginning to be reliable (and fun). I hate nothing more than RTS units behaving like mindless robots, so I am trying to do this the right way ;)

At the moment crew members (tech) can be either sent directly to:
- just move there
- check for any malfunctions in that room and repair them
- foritfy/liberate a room to improve the defenses and enable visibilty
- return to a previously set patrol route
- place explosives

if the new waypoint is at a hatch you can:
- seal the room (if its open)
- breach the room (if it is welded shut)

To create a patrol route you just hold down the control key. you can set waypoints to:
- move
- check for malfunctions and repair
- wait (set a time to remain in the room)

patrol-waypoints can be changed and dragged anywhere to quickly adjust the route.

Attachments:
waypoints.jpg
waypoints.jpg [ 583.04 KiB | Viewed 16713 times ]

PostPosted: Tue 12. Mar 2013, 22:57 

OMG, Brett Duncan's face is priceless :lol: You could make the patrol route line a bit bolder, at the moment it looks a bit ... i don't know. It just doesn't really fit imo. Everything else looks good. Alpha 0.16 soon?

PostPosted: Tue 12. Mar 2013, 23:48 

it's true, the patrol route line does seem a bit off compared to the ship enviroment but as it stands it's fine, i can put up with that just so i can see things work XD

also, i like tech crew hving the ablility to breach and seal doors, it gives tech crew more useful options than being the mindless drones who mantain a ship, maybe we will even be able to send tech crew on boarding parties to help invade? XD

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 13:52 

Quote:
also, i like tech crew hving the ablility to breach and seal doors, it gives tech crew more useful options than being the mindless drones who mantain a ship, maybe we will even be able to send tech crew on boarding parties to help invade? XD

most definitely! I want them to be much more than just "space janitors" ;)
I think they could be very good at sabotage or taking over enemy systems, they also will move much quicker through service tunnels because of their less bulky (but less armored) suits. anything else you can think of?

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 15:44 

Perhaps they could control or repair drones/robots or hack enemy drones/robots.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 17:25 

I like the radial menu. That will make it user friendly.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Wed 13. Mar 2013, 17:55 

Ah, finally we see some crew management.
Ship designing is good and fun but that's only on the paper (or holographic designing room whatever. :D).

I hope we can play crew managment in the next release with some simple modes.
Like all the basic alarms.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Mar 2013, 04:55 

Ratakari wrote:
Quote:

most definitely! I want them to be much more than just "space janitors" ;)
I think they could be very good at sabotage or taking over enemy systems, they also will move much quicker through service tunnels because of their less bulky (but less armored) suits. anything else you can think of?

at the moment, no but i think there is a good way to make medics useful in boardings too, in terms of taking over enemy systems, maybe if a tech crew can "capture" an enemy medical bay (or something like that, maybe not even the tech crew, maybe just the soldiers) any medical crew in the boarding party can use the captured medical bay to heal allied soldiers and stuff like that? the strategies are endless with things like this.

And in terms of soldiers. maybe it's reasonable to equip soldiers with a limited amount (maybe one each or less?) of door breaching charges in case no tech crew were able to come along? it would be a simple mechanic. much like the sabotage bombs we got to see in the videos, a simple bomb is placed on a sealed door which explodes on command or after a period of time destroying the door keeping it open, the door would then need to be repaired to be closed again. this could also cause great catastrophy in that a broken door stuck open would lose atmosphere if the hull of the ship was possibly breached or the air was manually vented exasterbating the hazard.

PostPosted: Thu 14. Mar 2013, 21:38 

Personally I don't thing welding doors like in aliens movie to reinforce them against breaching make any sense, doors are side open an only thing you need is internal lock and you never breach this door. And if you weld them, you loose sealing and risk decompression and you loose ability to move around your ship if you repel boarders.

So you can oped door with key, use hacking, cut whole door out, use breaching charge.

I think marines should have equipment and training for independent boarding action, clean up ships, plant charges, breach doors with charges, fights in vacuum, sabotage ship systems.
So you can disable ships only with marines, but that leave ship crippled, all door are blow up, that means problems with decompression, damage systems etc....but, if you want take ship intact or do less damage (more price money), so engineers come handy to hack doors, ship systems, security systems.
Imagine what happens if you went bridge or release gas.

Also what if we have infiltrator/assassin/stealth unit with hacking skills, something like ghost from starcraft.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Mar 2013, 11:11 

Shania wrote:
Personally I don't thing welding doors like in aliens movie to reinforce them against breaching make any sense, doors are side open an only thing you need is internal lock and you never breach this door. And if you weld them, you loose sealing and risk decompression and you loose ability to move around your ship if you repel boarders.

So you can oped door with key, use hacking, cut whole door out, use breaching charge.

I think marines should have equipment and training for independent boarding action, clean up ships, plant charges, breach doors with charges, fights in vacuum, sabotage ship systems.
So you can disable ships only with marines, but that leave ship crippled, all door are blow up, that means problems with decompression, damage systems etc....but, if you want take ship intact or do less damage (more price money), so engineers come handy to hack doors, ship systems, security systems.
Imagine what happens if you went bridge or release gas.

Also what if we have infiltrator/assassin/stealth unit with hacking skills, something like ghost from starcraft.

Of course it reinforces doors. That's like saying welding elevator doors wouldn't reinforce them.
Anything electronic can be hacked and forced open. Welding would stop this obviously

These marines seem to all of a sudden be an nature battle group with mountains of equipment or boarding a ship.
Assault troops are more like light infantry and Gould be used so. Yes they would carry provisions for slightly different situations but carry weight is a soldiers biggest enemy.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }