Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 13:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 15. Mar 2013, 18:55 

Yes, but why weld doors? You cant stop boarders, you only slow them.

If you lock doors then, they must hack it (very slow), breach (quick) or cut trough (slow)
If you weld them, enemy have same options except hacking, but you loose ability to open this door again without destroying them and last thing you need in space destroying half of you doors.

PostPosted: Sat 16. Mar 2013, 05:46 

i think what shania is saying here is that, IF it is possible to lock doors then being able to weld them shut is redundant, which isn't a bad point, but that's a big if considering we've already seen something similar to welding doors shut in the videos so i don't really see the point of throwing in the ability to lock or hack doors since welding was already here first it actually makes the hacking and locking redundant :/ another thing: locking doors is instant, and easily abuseable if you have good micromanagment skills, but welding isn't, if you weld a door shut that's going to take time, time that could be better spent using your technician to repair broken rooms and parts.

all things considered i would have to say that, if i were to be forced to choose between the two, welding and cutting doors seems to be a far more fair in terms of balance and just a more reasonable thing it have as it's already (apparently) in the game.

PostPosted: Sat 16. Mar 2013, 13:22 

Welding is very good mechanic in some games, like alien swarm, its free game on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/630
You can quickly weld door to keep them shut and then spend time to reinforce them, to open door you must again unweld them.
Its great gameplay mechanic, but reinforcing doors work s against ramming aliens, not against marines with breaching charge or welder. And from reality point of view I think if you unweld doors, you must destroy sealing, so you risk decompression.

Yes I know, realism is not always good for gameplay and I don't say it must be this way, only showing some different ideas.

As for abusing locking doors, I think its make sense to lock and open all doors remotely to fight fires, hull breaches, went ship etc like in ftl.
But it is soft lock and all doors can be open manually with anyone (except dumb aliens), so if you want secure doors, you must send somebody to lock them manually and then again unlock them. So to open doors without destroying them, enemy must use hacker, which is low them and you can use. Interesting mechanic can be if enemy hacker lock your doors and prevent you from movement.

Anyway we need first see how important gameplay mechanic welding doors is when we get creew management, I hope soon tm:)

PostPosted: Sun 17. Mar 2013, 06:50 

well, you make a few good points, but ultimately it depends on ratakari's artistic vision for the game, and considering his current update rate, i don't think we'll be seeing crew management this month but hey, there's always next month XD

PostPosted: Sun 17. Mar 2013, 10:38 

He needs to evolve a could more arms haha double his output ;)
I don't see him taking ou anything that I already in a well tbh.
Welding doors is in. I'm gunna weld me some doors.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Mon 18. Mar 2013, 00:39 

I always had the feeling, that hacking simple doors (or welding) should be something that is covered even in basic training of every grunt.

Simply locking doors is already working, but thats only stopping the enemy for a few minutes. Opening welded doors takes much longer of course. Another possibility will be to built high security doors (like in Evil Genius) that take a lot of skill and time to hack.
Blasting doors is of course a possiblity (if you dont care about the damage), but there could also be "blast doors".

It will definitly be interesting to find out what needs to be done to make defending and boarding both challenging and fun to try out different strategies.

Attachments:
hacking.jpg
hacking.jpg [ 63.37 KiB | Viewed 8751 times ]

PostPosted: Mon 18. Mar 2013, 02:35 

right! i forgot about diffent door types entirely XD would certainly be interesting to see how they work and affect boarding effectiveness, maybe even properly used doores can remove the need for welding (almost) entirely XD

PostPosted: Mon 18. Mar 2013, 16:49 

Nice, more door types is good:)

Its inevitable we get more and more room types, so I suggest interface improvements to building menu (we already have to many room types like corridors), so why not make it little advanced. Like: If you select door icon from menu, pop up show up and you can choose few different types and system remembers last selection, so you don't need select it again every time. Something like photoshop tool bar. And I also like to have bookmark for rooms :)

PostPosted: Tue 19. Mar 2013, 00:04 

i don't even think we need something as complex as that frankly, something as simple as holding shift while placing rooms should be good enough, i've seen it used in many games that have building as it's main mechanic and it works quite well.

in reference to the "menu improvements" you mentioned, i think you mean a "branching" menu system, ie: you have one menu wich shows a list of items and selecting one item will show you it's own list. if this is what you're talking about then i agree, it would reduce the size of the lists considerably while keeping them organized

PostPosted: Tue 19. Mar 2013, 10:33 

Yes branching or tree system.

Storages /airlocks
Corridors - doors - blast doors - corporation XY
Military \ security doors
\ cargohold doors

And If Ratakari wants expand game in future as I thing and game have mods, design it with some filter system in mind will be wise. Possible filters: by costs, power usage, corporation, efficacy, maintenance, size .... For military - damage, range, accuracy, ...