Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 07:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mission: Yellow Alert
PostPosted: Wed 9. Oct 2013, 15:47 

This mission is required to be able to play all emergency missions. You record the alarm positions for the crew and decide if they should put in their suits or not.
Pilots have to be on the bridge, technicians in the engineroom, medics in lifesupport and marines in the armory to be able to turn off the alert and complete the mission.
Time is crucial. As you can see in the video, the time to put on the suits, the location of the crew quarters and the morale of the crew determine the rating of this mission.

PostPosted: Wed 9. Oct 2013, 16:40 

nice! alarm drills ! love it! its a very good way of visualizing flaws in a ship layout that would not otherwise be noticeable while building! I love how this looks! can't wait for red! >:3

PostPosted: Wed 9. Oct 2013, 18:05 

"Pilots have to be on the bridge..."

You mean that there has to be 6 out of 6 required pilots on the bridge? Or that ALL pilots must be on the bridge?

If it's all, then that would some kind of -weird- crew meeting for alert status. Especially on the large ships. Not only for the number of crew, but also for the number of floors that a crew member may have to travel to reach their meeting room. It doesn't make sense, except as an isolated mission objective in a limited context. However, would I be correct to say that the alert recordings are subsequently available in other crew management missions?

PostPosted: Wed 9. Oct 2013, 19:19 

It wasn't exactly clear but what Ratakari is saying is that the only objective is to reach operating capacity for all critical rooms (as well as for the armory which counts more as security than critical), in this case this means manning them fully with the required crew.

Any crew that exceeds this goal is supposedly able to be freely placed elsewhere or given certain orders so, when the mission is completed and thusly saved, these orders will be repeated when the player issues and ACTUAL yellow alert.

This creates an interesting trade-off with large ships though, even if you manage to get all critical rooms manned in lighting quick time you'd still need to wait for the rest of your crew to get into their given positions or to complete their given orders before you can complete and save making it so that you lose rating over time so that you might be better prepared. Ratakari certainly has put much thought into this!

PostPosted: Fri 11. Oct 2013, 18:43 

Now I understand, thanks. The mission is both relevant to itself - since crew begin in their crew quarters, and relevant during other missions for the purpose of relocating extraneous personnel or quickly starting off with a triggerable set of orders.

However, an interesting occurrence here could be: 1 of the 6 pilots that was put on the bridge as part of the yellow alert recording dies. There are 2 spare pilots assigned to other locations when the alert is activated. Will one of these pilots be automatically reassigned to the bridge? Will activating an alert status simply give all crew a new order that can immediately be overridden by the player? If so, then activating an alert status would not cause any problems. Simply, it would become more inconvenient - depending on how many key crew had died. I suppose most alerts are just for the early parts of a situation in any case.

Another possible occurrence: You activate the alert when one or more destination rooms has been destroyed, hull breached, or on fire. Will the crew members obediently commit themselves to walking to their death?

May I ask whether alert recording will be disabled for missions that aren't specifically for recording a particular alert status?

PostPosted: Sat 12. Oct 2013, 04:13 

those are good questions! I don't know what ratakari is thinking when they occur but I can only guess and I would think in the case of pre-destroyed rooms the order would be canceled or the specific unit simply because the unit going there would serve no purpose until the room is1 fixed.

in the case of unit death I can not imagine ratakari's plan for that, a necessary unit is killed before the alert is given.... I imagine it's not something we need to worry too much about since alerts are SUPPOSED to be issued BEFORE the emergency in question but I guess in the unlikely event this does happen any idle units of the requisite type will automatically be issued to where they are needed to maintain functions on board the ship.

as for your final question, aside from the custom alert I remember hearing ratakari talk about in the initial video put out of SSC (though I may be mistaken) I do believe the only way to record alerts will be through these missions, also I believe, if I have read correctly, you will not be able to play any missions of a certain alert type till you have otherwise recorded that alert level type. (so in this case you won't be able to play yellow alert missions until you have done a yellow alert recording)