Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 19:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electrical Malfunction
PostPosted: Thu 5. Dec 2013, 16:44 

With the powergrid finally working and performing good even with large ships, I had much fun creating a new kind of problem for you ship designers out there: the electrical malfunction!

the recent type has got a new icon and is now called "mechanical malfunction", damaging the room over time.
the new type affects the powergrid in rooms with bad efficiency, and will destroy single segments of the powerline - disconnecting parts of the grid.
Destroyed parts can be repaired quickly, but as you can imagine, failing to to so (in time) can have devastating consequences. This makes it also apparent, that investing a lot of thought in backup powerlines and emergency generatrors will be very important.

Dont worry! The electrical malfunction does not occur in addition to mechanical problems - the chance (at the moment) is 50/50.

PostPosted: Thu 5. Dec 2013, 17:00 

nice, I like this, it will make me think twice about using a single core line tree branching system for my power lines like I originally planned, a query though: is the intended frequency that malfunctions occur going to be similar as shown in the video? or will there be a longer delay period, or a series of other factors that determine, when malfunctions occur? it seems, from the length of time I observed in the video, that such malfunctions may quickly get out of hand with such frequency.

If the frequency does differ, any thoughts on how often? I understand it will still be random, but even a general idea would be nice if possible XD

PostPosted: Thu 5. Dec 2013, 23:21 

i like it - what about door Malfunction and elevator Malfunction and others

Door Malfunction will cause the doors stay Shut (blocking the access to rooms till repaired) execpt manual doors (emergency hatches and emergency escape doors) or doors stays open and won't close

Elevator Malfunction would cause elevator to stop working forcing crew use stairs or other elevator nearby

electrical should affect lighting - example lights go out - no emergency lighting - could be nice idea to add it

PostPosted: Wed 11. Dec 2013, 16:38 

Quote:
If the frequency does differ, any thoughts on how often? I understand it will still be random, but even a general idea would be nice if possible XD

The frequency you see in the example is that of a room with zero efficiency - something to avoid at all costs.
However, I am still at testing and I am curious to hear from all of you when you are testing as well to be able create it the most challenging balance.

PostPosted: Thu 12. Dec 2013, 00:58 

Ah, that is wonderful to hear, makes sense as well for an unkempt room, can't wait to see how it will be for 100% efficiency as well!

PostPosted: Sun 15. Dec 2013, 22:10 

This is amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this. :mrgreen: