Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 08:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thruster Hatch
PostPosted: Sat 21. Dec 2013, 16:37 

I made an outer hatch for the thrusters - there was no reason for them to be the only exception ;)
that also the fixes the problem with armor panels blocking the thrusters.

something about the thrusters I think I didnt mention: they improve maneuverability and therefore the rating of course - which makes the ship perform better in an abstract way - but also in a very tangible way when fighting another ship in crew management:
you will be able to turn the ship very fast into the direction you want for effective timing when "exchanging broadsides", or to keep certain (more protected) parts of the ship always turned towards the enemy, preventing him to hit any "soft spots" ("Lieutenant, initiate the porcupine maneuver!").
You can save costs and energy for armor and shields when your ship has enough maneuverability!

Attachments:
thrusterhatch.jpg
thrusterhatch.jpg [ 120.32 KiB | Viewed 11689 times ]

Post subject: Re: Thruster Hatch
PostPosted: Sat 21. Dec 2013, 17:03 

nice idea - that's would be best

PostPosted: Sun 22. Dec 2013, 00:33 

This reminds me of a question I had for thrusters that I forgot to pose:

If a pair of thrusters are positioned further away from the hull's center of mass, say as far at the bow or aft of a ship as possible, will the thrusters maneuver more efficiently as opposed to when the thrusters are placed closer to the center of mass?

PostPosted: Sun 22. Dec 2013, 12:12 

""...but also in a very tangible way when fighting another ship in crew management...""

Will there be a zoom feature to make massive spaceship combat manageable? At the moment, a massive spaceship contains a good bit of screen scrolling - doubly if two ships were fighting.

Or

A minimap called 'Sensors'?

Or

Will space combat between massive spaceships be slow? Hugely huge hulls slowly pushing their massive hulk of rooms, crew, grids and guns in a 2-3 minute 180 degrees turn around maneuver? Since if space combat is too fast - it doesn't leave time for micromanaging boarding actions or the crew in their crew management functions. Which would be a source of frustration if crew don't act intelligently to some situations, (particularly with regard to following routine patrol waypoints into danger/death).

Or

Will space combat between massive spaceships be, initially, quite fast? But inevitable damage to the ships' engines always slows things down as the battle progresses?

Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sun 22. Dec 2013, 18:02 

Aestuo wrote:
This reminds me of a question I had for thrusters that I forgot to pose:

If a pair of thrusters are positioned further away from the hull's center of mass, say as far at the bow or aft of a ship as possible, will the thrusters maneuver more efficiently as opposed to when the thrusters are placed closer to the center of mass?

I was wondering this as well. It seems like two sets of thrusters paired at the front and back should in effect make turning quicker as one could thrust left, while the other thrusts right. That would allow it to basically turn on a dime.

Whereas, if the thrusters were paired and grouped toward the middle, I can see very little benefit of having more than one set.

PostPosted: Mon 23. Dec 2013, 10:33 

You never cease to impress. Keep'em coming!

PostPosted: Mon 23. Dec 2013, 12:36 

Quote:

excellent idea - could be easily implemented!

Quote:
A minimap called 'Sensors'?

kind of. very simple interface, nothing fancy.

Quote:
Will space combat between massive spaceships be, initially, quite fast?

I personnally like it slow, because there is so much going on - but as you can increase/decrease game speed you will be able to adjust it to your preferences, even if the ship has 20 thrusters and 6 engines.

PostPosted: Mon 23. Dec 2013, 20:45 

Small things make the difference!

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Mon 23. Dec 2013, 21:14 

Ratakari wrote:
Quote:

excellent idea - could be easily implemented!

great to hear, everyone will fear my quick turning battleships! XD

Ratakari wrote:
Quote:
Will space combat between massive spaceships be, initially, quite fast?

I personnally like it slow, because there is so much going on - but as you can increase/decrease game speed you will be able to adjust it to your preferences, even if the ship has 20 thrusters and 6 engines.

I agree, in a game with so much micromanagement anything but the slowest play would make it impossible to manage and control 5 decks plus a boarding party; plus I personally enjoy watching my enemy slowly suffer defeat as their inevitable end draws near >:3

PostPosted: Tue 24. Dec 2013, 13:11 

I dont like the thrusters anyway

"Hätte,Hätte Fahrradkette" Peerbär

Wich***r, A***hloch, Hure***oh, dein Mutter hat ich schon. Weiser Mann