Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 10:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 12. Jun 2014, 11:39 

Well, there's pausing the game and game speed controls for controlling the pace of the game in 20% increments/decrements right down to 0.2 (20%) game speed. Processing pauses when changing between decks of the ship are an unintentional problem with the game. It may be insurmountable to fix it, however, due to the way that Game Maker works.

PostPosted: Thu 12. Jun 2014, 17:08 

Thanks for all the great feedback, I will try to implement most of it.
It is not possible for enemy ships to be acutally "present" (= visible). Accuracy is unsusually high at the moment - I set the crew experience to 100% and fly very close to the enemy to not waste your precious time having to watch the ship miss half of the time ;)

PostPosted: Fri 13. Jun 2014, 20:22 

Ratakari wrote:
It is not possible for enemy ships to be acutally "present" (= visible).

With this in mind how will ships designed for boarding operations work? or am I getting ahead of myself and asking things soon to be answered? ^_^"

PostPosted: Thu 19. Jun 2014, 10:59 

I suppose one way that off-screen boarding could work:

Select assault shuttle bay containing soldiers.
Select launch.
The shuttle(s) launch and you see them fly off towards the enemy ship.
Through audio feedback, you hear the progress of their assault, from taking fire while approaching the enemy ship, to taking control of the ship.
Select the assault shuttle bay and click on the "Recall" button, to attempt to recall the soldiers. Audio feedback would also follow their retreat.

This is an alternative to having an assault "health bar", deployed soldier count or other visual statistics on the screen.

The combat algorithms could be a simplistic number of soldiers vs number of soldiers/crew with dice rolls/modifiers, combined with a 'tug of war' number. Sounds would be triggered from many small categories of 3 or so sounds that appropriately reflect the progression towards success or failure. A suitable voice actor would be required to record the role of "Assault Team Leader".

PostPosted: Thu 19. Jun 2014, 20:04 

while I'm not really against your idea of how off screen boarding could work (actually kind of reminds me of a more advanced homeworld 2 kind of ship boarding with the sounds reflecting boarding status XD) I really hope that's not the case. Controlling boarding parties directly and dominating a ship using my own wits was one of the things in the kickstarter video that drew me to SSC the most (next to the deep ship building aspect of course).

PostPosted: Fri 20. Jun 2014, 10:54 

It could be done. But:

Nearly doubled loading times, (for loading two ships)?
Game freezes temporarily every time you switch between ships, (as per deck changing currently)?
Controlling both the boarding party and your ship/crew at the same time?

In addition:

A lot of enemy crew AI work would be required. The AI would have to maintain a ship that is being repeatedly damaged. While, in addition, co-ordinating marines and whether other crew should support said marines or continue to maintain/operate ship systems. Should it decide to lay explosives? Should it seal that door?

PostPosted: Fri 20. Jun 2014, 22:03 

Yeah, I'm aware it's not easy and I don't plan on giving SSC up if I don't see it but it does take some of the charm away for me personally, just nothing like the feeling of being a ruthless space commander. XD

That being said beyond the enemy crew A.I. (which would be a majorly difficult thing to test let alone code) I don't think the other things would pose too much of a problem.

Watsong wrote:
Nearly doubled loading times, (for loading two ships)?

With the game still so early in dev I'm sure with optimizations to come loading should become less of an issue?

Watsong wrote:
Game freezes temporarily every time you switch between ships, (as per deck changing currently)?
Controlling both the boarding party and your ship/crew at the same time?

The freezing doesn't bother me too much but, I think, this may be something that gets worse depending both on ship size (2 deck vs 5 deck) and number of objects on screen (asteroids) so it may become a problem if the future but I don't really know. As for controlling both a boarding party and ship crew that can be made easier by slowing the passing of time down or stopping it entirely for single player but since it will be unlikely that this function will be active online it could be made so that you can give boarding crew "waypoints" to follow on the enemy ship so that you don't have to watch them ALL the time although it would be risky.

In the end though, I'll gladly settle for whatever we get, guess I'll just keep my maraudering dreams in space engineers ">.>