Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024, 11:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mission: Computer Revolt
PostPosted: Wed 30. Jul 2014, 16:33 

This is the first mission featuring human AI trying to capture your ship. I this case your crew turns against your leadership and tries to shut down the computer. You will have to use everything the ship layout provides you with to keep them from reaching the core as long as possible. If you manage to turn off their air supply long enough, they will eventually give up. Avoid killing them, but don´t let them jeopardize the mission! ;)

PostPosted: Wed 30. Jul 2014, 20:35 

Pretty cool! Will we also have a mission where we play the crew against the computer?

PostPosted: Wed 30. Jul 2014, 23:48 

I love the 2001 references! Too bad the AI didnt sing in the end :P

PostPosted: Thu 31. Jul 2014, 03:34 

I love it XD so, maybe to prevent the need to kill crew with lower air supply in an effort to make the rest surrender maybe you can make it so that isolated or vulnerable members of the crew who reach a point of surrender enter a "subdued" state where they stop trying to capture the A.I. core while remaining out of player control. This could create a situation where the player can attempt to isolate more vulnerable crew (tech/medics) by locking/unlocking hatches and doors and forcing the game A.I. to decide whether or not regaining the lost rebellious crew members is more worthwhile than just bum rushing the A.I. core.

ex: situation 1) main group comprised mostly of soldiers and techs, clever use of hatch locking isolates and subdues techs from soldiers. soldiers decide to backtrack and regain and rescue the techs who are more likely to be proficient in shutting down the ship A.I.

ex: situation 2) main group comprised mostly of pilots and techs, clever use of hatch locking isolates and subdues pilots from techs, techs decide, despite their ability to open locked hatches, that it would be more beneficial to their goals to leave the pilots behind and just gain as much ground towards the A.I. core.

Maybe you could also add a "grouped up" moral modifier (if not already) that makes crew harder to subdue when in large numbers and an "isolated" negative moral modifier that makes it easier for separated crew to be subdued (excluding soldiers which are trained to handle hostile situations)

PostPosted: Thu 31. Jul 2014, 11:05 

*Imagines* These revolt resistant ships will allow me to cut salaries by 12.5%, strongly boosting corporate margins. Once the knee-jerk, mutinous, reaction by several ships of crew has been dealt with - the rest will generally stay in line. The trick will be to cut salaries to just the right point, where mutinies only occasionally happen, (since a mutiny is going to cause the ship's current mission to fail).

I'm really impressed with the AI on this mission. It appears to behave intelligently and it's skilled at its task. Great work. There was a bit of: "Why does he have to place the bomb - that other solider could do it while the 'chosen one' captures that room." But I'll put that down to a simulation of human-like leadership behaviour.

So... If I open the exit hatch, can crew be sucked into space? Like on that film "Airplane 2". And what happens if I put said exit hatch on the computer core room? Will the mission be a guaranteed semi success? (Get the techs/medics to surrender and flush out the soldiers when they get to the core).

I like the isolating of crew idea. The doors would have to stay under player control at all times for it to work, though. It would have to be a carefully balanced game feature. Otherwise, player skill would replace the need for good ship design on this mission.

PostPosted: Fri 1. Aug 2014, 08:36 

That was a hoot! So excited to finally see a CYO in action! (and to start planning small, expensive but hyper space-efficient all-artificial-person ships, with no life support systems)

Some thoughts:

Perhaps this mission should be called "mutiny?" ..."Computer revolt" seems like it should be used for the inverse, where a maniacal computer is trying to kill the crew (which is still under your control).

The ability to selectively vent atmosphere/shut off life support to certain rooms, without just flipping the "master switch" toggle. I see lot of potential use from that (for instance, keeping your useless rebelling pilots alive...just barely). Maybe it would involve creating a "duct system" from the life support room, similar to the power and cooling grid...that crafty humans (or xenomorphs) could crawl around in?

PostPosted: Fri 1. Aug 2014, 09:49 

Messiah_Simplex wrote:
Perhaps this mission should be called "mutiny?" ..."Computer revolt" seems like it should be used for the inverse, where a maniacal computer is trying to kill the crew (which is still under your control).

You are playing this mission from the AI's point of view, so in this case it would SEEM like a revolt/mutiny, ever watch 2001: A Space Odyssey? Basically the AI (HAL) learns that the crew want to shut him/it down due to how it is acting, it tries to kill/incapacitate the crew to complete it's mission. The way this mission goes is eerily like the movie, even says things that are very similar if not exact.

PostPosted: Sat 2. Aug 2014, 12:19 

Oh I get what's going on...I just think the phrase "Computer Revolt" sounds like the computer revolted

(all taken from the perspective of "The Corporation," which is what you, the Player, are playing as)

PostPosted: Mon 4. Aug 2014, 17:12 

Messiah_Simplex wrote:
The ability to selectively vent atmosphere/shut off life support to certain rooms, without just flipping the "master switch" toggle. I see lot of potential use from that (for instance, keeping your useless rebelling pilots alive...just barely). Maybe it would involve creating a "duct system" from the life support room, similar to the power and cooling grid...that crafty humans (or xenomorphs) could crawl around in?

Ah I love this idea!

PostPosted: Mon 4. Aug 2014, 20:40 

Ok, that was awesome!

Like others have said, the ability to shut off lifesupport to certain areas of the ship or shut off artificial gravity would be awesome. Also any chance for repair/cleaner bots? Join up with the computer core to protect the ship. Like those bots from moya on Farscape.

Also the ability to jettison crew into space for the lols would be great too.