Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 06:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Key remapping issues
PostPosted: Mon 3. Jun 2013, 17:32 

A) Remapping a control works, but the game *usually* assigns both the remapped key and the default key to become active for that command. (e.g. Remap Undo to 'N'. On reloading the game the Undo command activates when pressing either 'U' or 'N').

Edit: By messing around with the binding for the Undo command, it seems that I'm having to assign the key twice, in order to remove the default (or previous) binding.

Edit 2: Taking this step by step to pin the problem down.
1. Loaded the game and clicked on 'Continue' to enter the main menu.
2. Selected Options -> Key Mapping
3. Pressed the 'U' key to confirm undo command binding. Success.
4. Remapped the undo command to the 'n' key. This shows visually on the screen as 'n'.
5. I observed that both the 'u' and 'n' keys are now bound to the undo command.
6. Remapped the undo command to the 'n' key again. It still shows visually on the screen as 'n'.
7. I observed that now no key at all is bound to the undo command.
8. Remapped the undo command to the 'n' key again. It still shows visually on the screen as 'n'.
9. I observed that both the 'u' and 'n' keys are now bound to the undo command.
10. Selected 'Reset Key Settings'.
11. I observed that the undo command is now bound only to the 'u' key.
12. Remapped the undo command to the 'n' key. This shows visually on the screen as 'n'.
13. I observed that both the 'u' and 'n' keys are now bound to the undo command.
14. Reloaded the game.
15. I observed that both the 'u' and 'n' keys are still bound to the undo command.

settings.ini entry for this command:
[26]
title=Undo
initial_key=85
key=78
map=n
input=0

Edit 3: I've tried reassigning the undo command to a third key and it's been ignored and defaulted to the 'u' key. But then trying to set it again resulted in a return to the step by step process above.

B) When remapping a key, pressing ESC does, in fact, remap the key to ESC. This is counter intuitive since the ESC key is normally used to cancel an action. In addition, the bind entry shows as blank on the screen. This may mislead the player into believing that the control is unbound. Interestingly, if you bind the ESC key to 'Help' - it shows the help screen only when ESC is held down.

C) If a control is bound to the "Shift" key, the control reverts to the default value internally, but shows 'Shift' on the screen. The control remains fixed to the default key and cannot be rebound until the game is restarted or the controls are reset to defaults. (This situation could occur by accident or by a player wanting to bind a control to 'Shift + Key'.