Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 15:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Copyrighted content
PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2012, 11:29 

They haven't jumped on this yet http://www.weylandindustries.de posted from the indiegogo site.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2012, 18:33 

I really doubt he asked Ubisoft, Sega, 20th Century Fox or other IP holders to use their assets in his own commercial product and they all said "yeah, whatever, go ahead, no problem"...

I don't see a reason to use copyrighted content even as placeholder today, with dozens of databases of free sound and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2012, 23:43 

Why are you guys all panicking about an Alpha? Ratakari does not have to write anything here. The game is in Alpha and it will not be released in it's current state.

Making mountains out of mole hills, honestly.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Sep 2012, 03:38 

Plus, the guy already said that he plans to remove all IP from the final game. I don't remember where, but I defenitely read it.

Still, a bit more communication about this matter would be good I guess, especially now that the project is on Greenlight.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Sep 2012, 12:54 

Taaketa: It doesn't matter what development stage it is in. He just can't use stolen content to promote the game. Period. The game gets attention on greenlight and because of this issue can be deleted any time, someone reports it and that's it...

PostPosted: Fri 14. Sep 2012, 16:23 

USER47: Copyright laws are basically there to stop someone making a profit using their intellectual property. Starship Corporation isn't released yet. He states in the video the sounds are placeholders. You dont represent any of these companies so dude please stop acting like the internet police. Just chill out read some information on a subject before you go diving in. I've had 5 years of law studies to date and I can tell you now the copyright holders cant make a claim because no profit has been made and disclaimers have been added in the video presentation. This is a perfectly legal and indeed practiced way of proposing an idea in draft form, now lets all sit down chill a bit and get on with life.

PostPosted: Fri 14. Sep 2012, 18:45 

Congratulations on your studies, but you are simply not right. He is promoting commercial product with assistence of the content he didn't make and doesn't have an approval from IP holders to use it for this purpose. It doesn't matter if he states the sounds are placeholders, he still cannot use them.

Not even talking about obvious copyright infringements like this:
http://www.starshipcorporation.com/weylandindustries/

PostPosted: Fri 14. Sep 2012, 19:21 

Folks let's not bother with USER47. He obviously is a person who goes through life with a "I'm always right." attitude. Let him have his little rant. I personally hope Ratakari won't waste his precious development time on him.

PostPosted: Sun 16. Sep 2012, 00:44 

USER47 wrote:
Congratulations on your studies, but you are simply not right. He is promoting commercial product with assistence of the content he didn't make and doesn't have an approval from IP holders to use it for this purpose. It doesn't matter if he states the sounds are placeholders, he still cannot use them.

Not even talking about obvious copyright infringements like this:
http://www.starshipcorporation.com/weylandindustries/

man you're sounding like a nark. what if we went the youtube strategy? ya know, when you add a video and it gets taken down, but when you add "This was created by: blahblahblah, all copyright by: blah blah blah, please support the company: blahblahblah." and poof, the video remains up, for years.

PostPosted: Mon 17. Sep 2012, 08:15 

As long as the use is non-commercial copyright can not be violated actually, it would be fair-use (in a certain range of use, anyway).

Seeing as the game is free to play, unreleased and currently paypal "donations" only buy you to-be-developed features this classifies as fair use. Naturally, when the game actually releases.. proper own artworks have to be used. Unless permission is obtained for the artwork used currently. (I am particularly skittish when seeing the photo based images, not so much fictional logos (Although "Weyland Industries" as a name is definitely trade-marked)

For the record, I am freelance artist (eRe4s3r.deviantart.com) so I have to work with fair use and all that nonsense... I think people need to understand that in an Alpha things are place-holder and the crowd funding has not yet finished. He can only possibly do his own art when he actually has a budget to do own art... simple ;)