Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 20:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Copyrighted content
PostPosted: Tue 11. Sep 2012, 19:34 

At first, let me congratulate you on very promising game. I upvoted and favorited it on greenlight as soon as I saw the pictures and tried the demo. But one thing has been bugging me since. You are using incredible amount of stolen stuff in there. Logo, slogan and name of Weyland-Yutani corporation, sounds from AvP, Rainbow Six and god knows what other games.

I wouldn't mind if you were using it as a placeholders in some internal versions, but it should never ever make it into public versions, promotional trailers and screenshots. I recommend to do something about it ASAP, because few reports on greenlight are enough to get your game deleted from the system.

Post subject: Re: Copyrighted content
PostPosted: Tue 11. Sep 2012, 22:42 

Wow man, chill. The game is in a public alpha, of course it is has place holders. He is a one man developer, give him a break? There is already a discussion in the Ideas forum about using fans of the game voice's instead of the current place holders.

PostPosted: Tue 11. Sep 2012, 23:44 

He is using those sounds in publicly available promotional material and public builds. I'm not going to report him for that, but if anyone will, Valve just deletes the game from greenlight for this. That's my point. Even placeholders can't be extracted from other commercial games, not talking about some completely unnecessary and easily fixable copyright infringements (Weyland Yutani references averywhere).

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2012, 01:02 

Building a ship for the company of Weyland-Yutani is much more appealing to me than "Bob's space mail", imo. I like it how it is.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2012, 02:49 

It's not a matter of how you, or we, like it. It's a simple matter of putting the game out of the reach of copyright issues. I'm all for what's being said in the first post here, the copyrighted content should be replace as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2012, 08:46 

I agree with the original poster, copyrighted content could end up being a hindrance in the development of the game.
It doesn't take a lot to avoid this problem, you can rename the Weyland Yutani corp in the game to something else and still keep a close inspiration to the whole setting.
Copyrighted sounds and film sequences in the trailer should be replaced as soon as possible as well. This may be an Alpha, but that doesn't mean that it is outside of the reach of copyright laws. There's a wealth of stuff on http://www.freesound.org/ that can be used instead.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2012, 12:57 

Zeih wrote:
Building a ship for the company of Weyland-Yutani is much more appealing to me than "Bob's space mail", imo. I like it how it is.

Yeah, and let's call it Rainbow Six: Space Assault, because it's more "appealing". :roll: That would surely go well...

PostPosted: Wed 12. Sep 2012, 21:20 

Personally, I'd like to see him turn it into a parody

Something like
Leyland-Wutani Spacial Co. Or maybe something like WeLand-YouTan Corp.
Or you know, make it into a parody name.

Yeah, the sounds and any copyright images will obviously have to go before the game is sold to anybody.

Last edited by City Builder on Thu 13. Sep 2012, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2012, 01:51 

This entire thread seems to be running on the assumption that the developer has NOT obtained permission to use these items from their respective copyright holder(s). I'd like to assume that someone looking to release this as a commercial product would do so - it's just the prudent and professional thing to do. :)

PostPosted: Thu 13. Sep 2012, 08:22 

And all it would take to put it to rest is for the developer to write one or two sentences...

1. I obtained all rights to use the names, images, sounds and or likeness's in my game in writing from the copyright holders.
2. They are place holder names, images and sounds. They will be replaced before the game is sold to anybody.