Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024, 00:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Door limitations
PostPosted: Wed 9. Jan 2013, 00:40 

I'm a little confused about the limitations of door placement within the game. I can place 2 doors once space apart if they are aligned, but not if they are at 90 degrees to each other. Why is this? It's doesn't make sense to me, and is quite limiting my ship designs.

Post subject: Re: Door limitations
PostPosted: Thu 10. Jan 2013, 13:28 

can you post a screenshot of this problem?

PostPosted: Thu 10. Jan 2013, 16:45 

I know what he means(I was too lazy for a screenshot :P):
X = Free Space
D = Door

While this is allowed:
Code:
D
X
D

This isn't allowed although there is still a space between those doors.
Code:
DX
 D

Though I can understand why you made it like this as the corners of those doors touch themself I think this limitation should be removed since the game is already hard enough and this just causes frustations sometimes. :)

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2013, 05:14 

i agree, i do find this design limitation more problematic than logical.

to clarify what they mean without the use of a screenshot (as i don't have one handy and no time to make one):

think of a door placed on the west side of a missle control bay, now assume you wanted to place a door on the north side of the same control bay, you couldn't because there is one directly perpendicular to the first door mentioned.

is there a specific reason of this design choice? if not i think it should be removed and doors should be allowed to share edges, there doesn't seem to be any great reason for this not to be :/

PostPosted: Mon 14. Jan 2013, 18:16 

Originally this limitation was just born out of the need for universial rules. I personally think that this rule does make a lot of sense - because how often do you see doors in contemporary buildings right next to each other in a corner, especially in small rooms - like an elevator, or in you toilet ;)
However I can see that the doors are quite large in the game, and I empathize with the frustration, when everything fits perfectly, except for that one stupid door...

Maybe I could add a smaller door (with disadvantages for the crew).

PostPosted: Tue 15. Jan 2013, 03:18 

Have bulk head doors and sliding doors.

The Bulk head doors are lockable and slow down the 'enemy'. The are also air tight.

sliding doors just are there for easy of use. They barely slow down the 'enemy' and are not air tight.

Sliding doors can be placed right beside each other and bulk head doors. bulk head doors must be placed by them selves.

(Ie, you have to place your bulk head doors first then you can add sliding doors. If you place a sliding door, you can on place a bulk head door beside it.)

Dave Chase

PostPosted: Tue 15. Jan 2013, 05:11 

Dave Chase wrote:
The Bulk head doors are lockable and slow down the 'enemy'. The are also air tight.

sliding doors just are there for easy of use. They barely slow down the 'enemy' and are not air tight.

Sliding doors can be placed right beside each other and bulk head doors. bulk head doors must be placed by them selves.

seems like an overcomplication :/ wouldn't it be common sense for all space faring ships doors to be airtight? like how ships are nowadys with water? well, okay, that's not entirely true, doors at critical choke points are waterproof to slow and possibly prevent sinking but in space, even the slightest crack in a ship is going to suck out air so this wouldn't be a logical feature to have naturally, though it may make thing interesting, still, i'm not for it.

i like the idea of different classes of doors though, like light, medium, and heavy doors, each with thier own difficulty for the enemy to breach and cost to use, for exemple: it would make a lot of sense to use heavy doors to protect the bridge and other critical rooms while crew quarters and other similar low priority rooms to only need light doors.

as for doors not being placeable beside each other, while i'm not a big fan of it, it does make sense, (think of the space required for a sliding door to open, where are those doors going?) but i still think doors should be allowed to share the corner of small square rooms, especially when there are many of such rooms in close proximity, but i won't stand with this idea, i can work ways around it, it just makes things irritating >.<"

also, i remember when i watched the pitch video for starship corporation it looked like the player had to weld thier own doors shut to slow down the enemy, while i'm not sure if that's what i'm actually seeing or not, if it is, wouldn't it make sense for doors to have a "lockdown" function? just a simple option where you can lock or unlock the door at will, while the enemy has to hack/weld/or blow through to defeat this measure?

(by hack i'm assuming these doors are computer controlled)
(by blow through im suggesting infiltrators carry something similar to C4 or shpaed charges to blow a hole in the door)

PostPosted: Tue 15. Jan 2013, 16:18 

Bulk head doors will cost more and have a higher safety rating
Sliding doors will cost less and have a lower safety rating.

This game (proposed) is about business (money making, reputation, and survivability of the ship), so some manufacturers might cut some corners and put in sliding doors to met the contract needs, while others will always want bulkhead doors.

Military ships might always required bulk head where a civilian has the bottom line of cost to worry about.

Just some thoughts.

Dave Chase