Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 18:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 10. Jan 2013, 18:58 

I very often get the bug report "rooms can be placed outside the hull", and I understand why this looks like a mistake at the moment - especially because you can get "objectives completed" with rooms in outer space.

I wanted to placement of rooms to be possible anywhere, because of the "planning aspect" of it. I can try out different arrangements outside the hull next to existing ones to see which is better. When exporting a class (and finalizing the design) later, there will be a check that recognizes this as an error, just like room that are not connected to the rest.

Tell me if think thats not a necessary feature, and it would be better to get the error messages right away.

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 00:44 

I see your point. It feels like a bug though. I personally would remove the options to do it.

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 10:40 

Maybe make this feature optional in game options and set it off for default. So if somebody wants use it, he have this option.

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2013, 05:07 

as a beta only option it feels fine but i don't think the feature should be available past that, of course, just have it outright removed in the full game, though i still think the ability to place rooms in space should be left in the full game, like an artist mixing colours on his pallate i too find the option to check room configurations using the outside space to be useful but i see no reason to be able to save such a blueprint with rooms in space after the beta phase of this game.

in summary, i think using the rooms in space feature is fine while building the blueprint always but once the beta passes i don't think you should be able to save such designs

PostPosted: Tue 30. Apr 2013, 16:09 

Having rooms placed outside the hull makes perfect sence. Sure you can take the BSG route and keep your bridge and everything behind armor in the main hull or you could go the starwars route and make an armored superstructure thats a little more vunerable once shields and armor is down. But in real life as well most warships are made with torpeo blisters which are usually filled with water on the outer side and fuel on the inner side. Nothing a warship counts on for operations but some extra just to have.

PostPosted: Fri 10. May 2013, 03:00 

Aestuo, I had to read your post a few times. I couldn't get past beta, I kept thinking you were talking about the game beta... Now that I understand what you're saying I mostly agree.

I think the best option would be to leave it in the game. I used it as an featured and viewed it as such. I did not think of it as a bug. I can personally think of a couple of ways to make it look like a design feature rather than a bug. You could make rooms outside of the hull a different color or give them some other visual indicator, and/or include an indication in the messages window letting the player know that there are rooms outside of the hull. I also think that you should be able to save blueprints with it.