Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 22:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2013, 19:38 

I am looking for interesting and diverse Names for Companies or Organisations (Buyers, Sellers, Competitors and Parts Suppliers) as well as Names for Fuselages. It would be great to have a "multicultural" feeling by using verious languages or cultural references from wherever you are coming from.
Bring it on! - and don´t forget to include the translation ;)

PostPosted: Sun 13. Jan 2013, 01:33 

as i'm sure my name already suggests, i find latin is a very good language for name-like words X3 for example, my own name "aestuo" means "blaze". i'm not particularly well versed in latin (and by that i mean i look up translations on google ^_^") but i'm sure with a bit of looking you could find many other names, words, or phrases that might sound good for a fuselage, not so much for corporations... unless you're planning on having a psuedo-religion run corporation or something crazy like that X3

as for actually something useful this post? sorry, gonna have to take a rain check, i struggle to creatively name a pokemon, this is a little overkill for me in relevence ^_^" i'm thinking though, always thinking :3

PostPosted: Sun 13. Jan 2013, 16:47 

Ship buyers:
  • UNAA (International, United Nations Aeronautic Administraion) - civil vessels
  • Hawken (USA, private security company) - military vessels
  • CMAHL (FRA/GER, joint venture of French shipping company CMA and German shipping company Hapag-Lloyd) - cargo vessels
Part suppliers:
  • Wolkenburg (GER, first was inspired by Wartburg, then I realised it actually means cloud castle) - Hull parts (doors, armor, etc.)
  • HKW (GER, joint venture of Heckler&Koch and Walther) - military equipment
  • Birke (GER, inspired by low-temperature-technlology company Linde) - fuel-, water-, airtanks
  • Hujima Motors (JAP, random japanese sounding connection of letters) - Engines
  • Masenkov Materials (RUS, random russian sounding connection of letters) - Weapons, military equipment
More coming, I guess ;)

Edit 1: Noone else yet? C'mon you can do better :P Also, I only can come up with German and English names. More cultures needed :D

Ship buyers:
  • Alltagreisen (GER, provides low budget transportation for passengers; Meaning is not that easy to explain: "All" means space, "Alltag" everyday, "Reise" travelling and "Tagesreise" short trip) - cheap civil transportation vessels

Concurrents:
  • Himmelswerft (GER, simply means "sky shipyard") - All kind of ships, spezialised on medium and big military ships

PostPosted: Fri 18. Jan 2013, 23:01 

Just of the top of my head, two names that might be useful for fuselages:

-Fluyt - A type of Dutch sailing vessel used for trade. Was famous for its distinctive shape with a narrow deck and large cargohold beneath it. The deck was made narrow to evade tolls when entering the Baltic.
-Pagadder - Name given to the boys that looked out over the water from small towers for ships coming in to the harbour in the city of Antwerp in the 1600s.

PostPosted: Sat 19. Jan 2013, 01:00 

Uhm.. As far as my nation's history with ship design and building, I think I have to go back to Venice when it still was a major sea power in the 15th-16th century.

At the time, the most famous (and successful) class of ship was the Galley, a long and narrow trade vessel with large sails, capable of reaching very high speeds. When deprived of cargo, it became an effective warship thanks to the multiple rows of well.. rowers that gave the ship superior maneuverability. It generally carried a large crew complement for boarding actions, a small number of guns where available, and a bronze beak for sinking enemy warships in close combat.

The other ship class that springs to my mind is the Galleass, a large warship employed during the famous battle of Lepanto, where the Turks mistook a number of these vessels for supply ships and got blown to smithereens. It was basically the opposite of a galley, with a large,fat and shallow hull, and mounted a large number of high-caliber guns. It's a step between the galley and the "true" galleons of the 17th century.

Also popular in later centuries was the Brigantine, a small and nimble vessel mainly used to counter piracy (or practice it, depending on whose side you were on :mrgreen: ) . A small atoll near the Island of Ponza, in Italy, is called Cala Brigantino , the Brigantine Cove, because a Sardinian Navy Brigantine used to station there in the mid 1800s against the Berber pirates.

It wouldn't be of much help to go back at the time of the Romans, I'm afraid. Pragmatists to the very core, the Romans simply classified their warships based on the number or rows of oarsmen. From a Bireme (2 rows) to a Quinquireme (5 rows). Very archaic-sounding and not much suited to a sci-fi game in my opinion.

Italic, and Mediterranean, vessels have always tended to be very fast and moderate in size, since they never had to deal with the harsh weather of the ocean. North African traders and corsairs employed a particular ship called the Xebec, equipped with a set of triangular sails and capable of high speeds.

Also, a favorite of the time was the Polacca or Polacre, a trade vessel with triangular sails.

I can' think of any more right now, also because it's quite difficult to find information about ship designs that don't require you to be a shipwright to understand. Modern ship classes are pretty much standard all over the world, especially military ones.

While I'm at it, I'd like to point out a (very small, very technical) mistake in on of the contracts, namely the "Federation Battlecruiser". One of the requests was for the ship to have a high shield value. Historically, Battlecruisers were an intermediate class between heavy Cruisers and Battleships, with very high top speeds and battleship-size armaments but very little armor. The contract for a Battlecruiser should therefore require high top speeds instead of high protection values.... Or you could just ignore this technical junk and keep the name on the basis that it sounds cool and reminds of Starcraft :D

PostPosted: Thu 24. Jan 2013, 17:37 

Some partprovider idears.

Weapons:
Royal Space Armaments – Weaponprovider, British origin
Striker Depots – Weaponsprovider, US origin
Kurtschatow Corporation – Weaponsprovider (Missile/Warhead/Atomic), Russian origin
Lightning Forge INC. - Weaponsprovider (Energybased), European Origin

Electronics:
Fujisake Technologies – Computer/AI Systemprovider, Japan origin
Rheinland Institut – Advanced Electronicsprovider, German origin

Drives:
Lagrange Driveyards – Spacedriveprovider, India origin
Einstein Laboratorys – FTL-Drive provider, UNO origin

Others:
Titan Orbital Defenses – Armor and Shieldprovider, Colonial origin
Agricultural Union – Support and Survivel Systemprovider, Chinese origin
Fusion Unlimited – Reactor and Energyprovider, France origin
Victoria Communication Systems – Planetary and Stellar Communicationprovider, Brazilian origin
Eternal Life IPC (Interplantery-Corporation) – Crew and Cryostasisprovider, Colonial origin

PostPosted: Fri 25. Jan 2013, 05:13 

Is there going to be a geopolitical environment in the game? That would help with names and backing, since some modern day nations might not be here in a thousand years.

PostPosted: Sun 10. Feb 2013, 15:36 

I prefer the world feel not too distant or too fantasy (like the Alien universe), so there will be old the old gangs (like EU or USA) - some maybe replaced by or merged into new "cartels", and there will be new "off-world" governments.

PostPosted: Wed 13. Feb 2013, 11:01 

Inter continental enterprises - ICE

Global organised defence systems - GODS

Long orbital blasting subteratian terraforming engineering rig - Lobster

:D what do you think?

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Thu 7. Mar 2013, 17:18 

I understand this thread is old however being it is not locked I am going to assume it is open for input still. I will try for a few Eastern and African feel company names to balance the board. These names may or may not translate directly into some meaning, my grasp of Middle Eastern and African languages/dialects is too lacking to tell.

[Israeli] Teva Aki Industries: Specialization in weapon systems.
[Indian] Bharat Dabur: Human Resources and living distributors.
[Saudi Arabian] Al-Wahya Pharmaceuticals: Medicine and medical facilities production.
[Mozambique] Ofício Munições: Munitions development center.
[Mali] Systèmes de protection Ltd: Defense innovators.
[Guinea] Aymond Ordinateurs: AI advancement systems.

If a small description of the company is required I would be happy to develop one for each of them. Hopefully this should add to the mix bag of names.