Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 21:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 09:03 

Hi David,

I just tried to send this through your website's comment feature but had a glitch on my end so I'm not sure if the feedback made it through.

Firstly this project looks really great and I can't wait to support it and recommend it to some of my friends, but I think you need to urgently clarify a few things on your indiegogo page. It could be that I'm just not reading it right, but I've double-checked and I can't find an answer.

The issue is that it is not clear to me whether or not any of the pledge levels actually include a copy of the core game once it is completed, or if you are simply pledging to receive bonus content when you purchase the game later, or if you intend it to be free to play. I think it's very important to clarify this as people may be reluctant to pledge without understanding whether they'll need to make a second purchase down the road.

Similarly, if you've done any thinking about what you might sell the game for (if you plan to sell it of course), I would include this information too. I've seen this work successfully a lot on Kickstarter - if a game is going to sell for US$20, then a lot of people will be willing to pledge US$10-15 because they perceive that they've gotten a discount, and you the creator benefit by getting that money now when you need it for development! Including this information, along with what pledge levels come with a copy of the game, will definitely help your campaign a lot. I would also put it right up the top (and in the pledge details) so it's something visitors can find quickly and easily.

All the best with your campaign!

Dom

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 13:43 

I really appreciate your comments (and I got your email), and I would like to make this a public discussion.

I don´t like the free2play concept very much, however I would like to perform an experiment with this (If there is enough interest). Players dont´t get additional content individually and with micropayments, but a whole package of addons (ships, rooms, new units and maps) would be crowdfunded, and every contributor gets the new stuff at the same time. Only players who play the free core game are at a disadvantage, which I think is only fair.

Another option could be, that players who share the belief, that pay2win is a great thing, could be limited to a specific star system...

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 14:17 

I was actually thinking about your reply this evening and I definitely agree, the crowdfunded expansion pack concept is a really interesting idea, and one that is likely to be more appealing than microtransacting individual components piecemeal. In fact what got me most excited was the community element you could generate, by proposing options (or letting the fans suggest them), and then let people vote with their wallets by supporting the packs they like! Could be very cool indeed! :-)

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 18:37 

Hi David,

First of great concept of your game! Looking forward to see it finished as this kind of game has not been done before to my knowledge ^_^

Sadly I have to ask you to clearly answer one question of the poster before me, as that didn't became clear from your initial response ;)

Quote:
...The issue is that it is not clear to me whether or not any of the pledge levels actually include a copy of the core game once it is completed, or if you are simply pledging to receive bonus content when you purchase the game later ...

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 19:17 

I am sorry if I did´t communicate that clear enough.
The Core game is free.
All pledge levels above and including $10 are a "copy" of the online game. That is, if the project reaches funding Level 2.
All bonus content is also playable, even if will be only an offline game.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu 9. Aug 2012, 06:16 

This helps greatly :D

thank you very much :)

PostPosted: Mon 27. Aug 2012, 13:40 

Ratakari wrote:
I really appreciate your comments (and I got your email), and I would like to make this a public discussion.

I don´t like the free2play concept very much, however I would like to perform an experiment with this (If there is enough interest). Players dont´t get additional content individually and with micropayments, but a whole package of addons (ships, rooms, new units and maps) would be crowdfunded, and every contributor gets the new stuff at the same time. Only players who play the free core game are at a disadvantage, which I think is only fair.

Another option could be, that players who share the belief, that pay2win is a great thing, could be limited to a specific star system...

I am still a little confused..

Let me know if the following is correct interpretation or not..
$0 we get
free core game = free base game no whole package content, no funding required (essentially free lite/demo version)

$5 we get
free core game + whole package add-ons + exclusive content (full version without online capability?)

$10 and above
free core game + whole package add-ons + exclusive contents + online account (full version with online)

Will the whole package add-on content be updated for free for those with online account? I hope this game will not become filled with add-ons/dlcs in the future for any new contents.. I don't mind paying for game expansions with significant extra stuff but not those small contents add-ons. Pay2win is a significant turn off at least for me, not sure bout majority of others views.

PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2012, 14:43 

correct, except the "whole package add-ons" start at $10 (unlimited access to the online game).
Game Addons will be crowdfunded (as mentioned above), and then be available for every online game user. I dont´like the pay2win stuff either.