Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 17:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Power- and Cooling Grid
PostPosted: Thu 9. Jan 2014, 22:10 

After testing the new tutorial of the alpha release I noticed how many power lines you had to make befor you could even finish a simple ship. The same goes for the cooling.
It's quite annoying to do it for every deck or when you have to redo it after you change something in your design.

My question is:
Why do they even exist?

To be honest I don't think they add anything to gameplay but tedious work.
So what do you think?

In my opinion I'd rather remove them and supply every room automatically with power if there is a generator or a power relay on the same deck.

PostPosted: Thu 9. Jan 2014, 22:48 

No I disagree.

In my opinion its a part of the game that makes it what it is. I love the details and micromanagement.
There is also the option to just load a finished class, but it might not be just exactly as you want it.

Yesterday evening was spent on building a custom small cargo with shields, just to test with the asteroid scenario.
I failed miserably, crewmembers were sucked into space through cracked hulls, and if they didnt die of that they suffocated because I forgot to seal the damn doors.

The point is, without the option to experiment I wouldnt have been able to even build that coffin.
Because, if not, someone else are setting the limits.

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 00:00 

If there actually was a decent grid-managment (see my suggestions thread), you would be able to make elaborated grids which could be used to quickly respond to emergencied during mission. I guess, that is kind of the goal?

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 07:13 

One o the main ideas I had or te use f several power grids was during a mission you could have all non essential systems on say grid two which could completely tired off leaving te main systems on grid one still working.

You could say well now there's a switch room. But that just wastes space for other rooms.

In a whole 5 different grids may be excessive but I still think they are needed.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 09:40 

I haven't been able to get the separate grids to work yet, not sure if it's my user error or a glitch/unfinished part of the game, but I just leave everything on one grid which all generators are tied into and redundantly connected to.

It's definitely the LAST step I place in my ship design though, once I'm totally happy with the layout.

P.S - I'm not sure if I remember correctly but was there talk of power lines being able to break and need repair? Or of marines being able to crawl through them like Jeffries tubes? I remember reading something sometime on here about how placing your power grid and the connections they form is actually more important than imagined...for those reasons I make power grids trace the walls of my rooms, doors and corridors and not cut through them...but maybe I imagined that.

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 09:58 

The grids do work and I follow these steps

Place a generator
The select it and change the power grid it's connected to by clicking the grid number bottom right
The everyte you place a room before you place it select the grid you want it connected to.
If you want to change a grid a room is on just select the room ad the click the grid bottom right you want it attache to

As to your question there is scope for brakable power lines water pipes etc later on

{ PooIsEaten = false; }