Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 10:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 26. Mar 2014, 22:47 

It seems to me that the maintainence and malfunction intervals are way too short, especially the engine room. In the tutorial crew management mission, my technicians are always scrambling just to keep the ship operational. In the time it takes them to take one visit to every system on the ship, the engine room usually has at least one malfunction. It's like they're operating a ship that's falling apart; they can barely keep it running during normal operations. If some emergency were to crop up, they would not be able to handle it without half the systems shutting down.

The worst part is during the Asteroid Impact scenario. Even with 2 technicians in the engine room repairing it non-stop, it still keeps breaking down faster than they can repair it, and it's not even being hit by the asteroids. This means I would need to keep all 4 of them in there; leaving all the other ships systems without maintainence or repair.

Malfunctions in general happen so fast and so frequent, that technicians just can't move around the ship fast enough to keep up with them, even if the ship is not in a state of emergency. Most notably is the frequency with which power conduits fail because of a malfunction, leading to crew suffocation. The air supply in the crews protective suits is either simply pitiful, or non-existent. It should give them at least a few minutes of air, for dealing with life support failures and hull breaches. It's also poor ship design to have hatches that are not air tight, and need to be welded shut in order to stop air from leaking out. (at least that's how it seems right now, the alarm won't shut off until the doors have been welded)

For the smallest ship available , you need a bridge manned by 6 pilots. SIX. That seems like way too many pilots for a ship that small.

PostPosted: Thu 27. Mar 2014, 01:45 

You must turn the power off in leaky room AND lock the door, then the air leak stops. I also agree with you though on the timers, they are WAY too short, I end up building ships with 2x or 3x the techs just to keep it running without breaking down.

PostPosted: Mon 31. Mar 2014, 00:24 

And that is why major companies buy ships from Terencia Ltd. Our ships are made from quality grade materials. Please contact one of our local resellers for à guide or brochure.

PostPosted: Mon 31. Mar 2014, 01:46 

Terencia wrote:
And that is why major companies buy ships from Terencia Ltd. Our ships are made from quality grade materials. Please contact one of our local resellers for à guide or brochure.

:lol: you made my day!

PostPosted: Sun 26. Oct 2014, 22:25 

sorry to revive this thread but it's the best one based on the idea i have.

i agree with the fact that efficiency run down too fast. it's like saying "the ship would fall apart if i dont look at it".

for me the timer is the "main time between failure", the time between two possible malfunction (each time there would be a loss of efficiency). it would be possible to skip one maintenance and repair the whole thing before the second efficiency loss.

here are the ideas (in the shape of rules):

- the rooms lose efficiency (random %age or given %age) when the count down reach zero then the countdown restart (with the timer possibly reduced by a formula like : max_timer*efficiency. As the room dont operate well, there are chance that a malfunction appear sooner than initially expected).

for example : a room got a 300 seconds (5 minutes) timer at 100% efficiency and at each missed maintenance check it lose 20% efficiency.

T+ 5 minutes (at the end of the first timer) : efficiency is at 80% and the timer is reduced to 240 seconds (4 minutes)

T+ 9 minutes (at the end of the second timer) : efficiency is at 60% and the next timer is reduced to 180 seconds (3 minutes)

T+ 12 minutes (at the end of the third timer) : efficiency is at 40% and next timer is reduced to 120 seconds (2 minutes)

T+ 14 minutes (at the end of the fourth timer) : efficiency is at 20% and next timer is reduced to 60 seconds (1 minutes)

T+ 15 minutes (at the end of the fifth timer) : efficiency is at 0%, the room stop to function (if the malfunction didnt broke the room earlier, ).

- when the count down reach 0 and the room dont have full efficiency, a malfunction may appear (the less efficency the room got, the more chance there is that a malfunction appear).

- patrols can avoid the timer to reach zero but the timer reaching zero may not be fatal by itself.

- efficiency would reduce(or increase) the rooms output and/or consumption.

(like power generator with low efficiency producing less energy. life-support with low efficiency needing additionnal power to reach the same output or, the other way around, life-support with low efficiency having a lower output resulting in the contamination of the ship atmosphere over time.)

with all those rules, the crew could maintain a greater number of room by checking some rooms after a few timer rather than rushing to avoid all timer to run out.

for example, the technician could do the maintenance on the engine, then go for the maintenance of some rooms on b1 deck. return to do the maintenance on the engine again and then go for the maintenance of some rooms on B2 deck.

NB: cutting the power may stop the timer but would also disable all the electronic devices including the air pump of the air storage, the fuel pump of the fuel storage and water pump of the water storage, so at least one of each room should be powered or the next room in the cycle may suffer malfunction. ("water treatment" for the water storage, "life-support" for air storage, "engine room" for the fuel storage).

EDIT:

here is an example to illustrate the idea.

if we say that , at each missed maintenance check, the efficiency get lower by a random amount between 1 and 10 multiplied by the size of the room ( 1 for small, 2 for medium and 3 for large.) or by the number of people needed for the maintenance.(making the bridge and the engine room more prone to efficiency loss than any other rooms, explaining the need of a permanent crew for such rooms)

then a large reactor (4:55 min for maintenance) would in the worst case scenario last at least 15 minutes (with 3 time a loss of 30 efficiency)and could last, in best scenario, several hours before needing maintenance.

therefore allowing the crew to deal with incident like pirates boarding the ship without having all the ship systems falling one after the other because the pirates are blocking the only path to the generator room. (of course, as the generator would lose efficiency, it would produce less power. that would force the crew to shut down non-vital systems to keep enough energy for the main systems.)

NB: Emergency power , with it's long timer and it's low efficiency loss (count as a small room), that would be the best fail-safe generator in case of massive attack.