Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024, 00:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Singleplayer campaign
PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 09:11 

I was intrigued by your comment that you would like to make a story mode based on Atlas Shrugged - as a fan of Ayn Rand this really piqued my interest! Any chance you can give us an idea about how this classic novel would play out in the campaign mode? It almost seems like the antithesis of your traditional campaign progression, given that as you progress through the story there would be less and less competition to face as all the great creators leave and company's begin to fold.

And what do you envisage being the difference between a singleplayer sandbox and singleplayer story mode? Will it just be a mission structure + cutscenes, or do you envisage some sort of character (company?) progression system with branching paths depending on whether your latest ship design succeeds or fails?

PostPosted: Fri 24. Aug 2012, 10:54 

Thanks. I am sorry that I cant´t get into more detail about how the story will play out.
You will not only face less competion, but important business partners will also dissappear, making it not only harder to keep your business going, but also more difficult to face the bureaucrats...

I definitly want to enable an interesting character progression in addition (and through) to the missions and cutscenes. I want the player the face tough moral decisions and not only to care about the success of his business, but be emotionally involved in the direction he and his company are heading...

PostPosted: Sat 25. Aug 2012, 01:02 

I know there are hostile forces that can board your ship, but is it possible to be the pirate or be branded as one in the multiplayer? (Ex: steal other npc's/player's cargo and maybe take crew hostages.)

PostPosted: Sat 25. Aug 2012, 09:17 

Oh yes! :!:

PostPosted: Thu 6. Sep 2012, 01:38 

Hello, found this game by a link given by a friend originally, and have to admit I didn't believe it at first. There's been so many 'attempts' to create a sci-fi game that would fulfill the desires of the fans of the genre, but typically those have ended up quite poorly. It took a little while to be convinced, but this project is looking very interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing this game when its ready. I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer games (I know I'm a minority in that) but I love science-fiction games with either a good story or alternatively a nicely made 'sandbox' feel that allows for playing the game and trying out new things along time. So far, I think this game is looking to be very promising. I'm not really going to say much on the multi-player side, I imagine that it'll get its share of attention from those who enjoy multiplayer gaming. Personally, I'll admit I'm usually no good in competing with other human players so I'll enjoy taking the computer foes for all they got.

I was meaning to ask though, do you intend to save a sandbox mode for the casual player who has finished the campaign, or do you plan on building the story-driven singleplayer campaign and the multiplayer and the sandbox is a thing for beta release only?

I'm asking since I am quite curious. I have spent some money in the past on some games that tempted me, the story was looking good and there was an open assumption sandbox style play was included. Only it wasn't, and the campaign had its own strict limits. The game was fun, for a few tries, but ultimately it would have probably made a lot better impression with a sandbox included as well.

That's just a thought, and personally I think I'll be buying this game as soon as its ready, to enjoy the single-player side. Personally, I'd love to see the option of playing in a sandbox style, not having to worry about something like a time limit expiring or reaching a certain goal meaning the game ends for me. While I enjoy that in a campaign, sometimes it could be fun to just relax, sit down, and return to some simply sandbox play for a while.

Different tastes, and can't please everyone, but I wanted to at least ask what are your thoughts on the issue?