Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 14:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam Greenlight (X)
PostPosted: Tue 4. Sep 2012, 03:51 

Hi there !

I think this game could do with a bit more publicity, what about showing it on Steam Greenlight ? It's easy to do, wouldn't take long and tons of people would discover that such a great project exists !

Hell, I could even fill the form for you, if you don't have the time right now. Whatever it takes to reach the funding goal for the solo campaign !

Post subject: Re: Steam Greenlight
PostPosted: Tue 4. Sep 2012, 10:12 

Thanks for the offer! I will do it myself in the next few days - just wanted to wait until I the alpha was ready.

PostPosted: Tue 4. Sep 2012, 12:41 

I have used Steam Greenlight before, but Iogged on Steam today and when I click on Steam Greenlight it brings me to a page that says its coming soon and answers some questions about it. Where did Steam Greenlight go?

PostPosted: Tue 4. Sep 2012, 18:18 

I think it would be better to have the alpha ready and maybe additional youtube videos before relasing to showing it on steam. Otherwise viewers may look at it once and not come back to view it. Just my thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Wed 5. Sep 2012, 19:33 

leesfweb wrote:
I have used Steam Greenlight before, but Iogged on Steam today and when I click on Steam Greenlight it brings me to a page that says its coming soon and answers some questions about it. Where did Steam Greenlight go?

They're in the process of changing how it works. If developers wish to showcase their game on there now it will cost them a fee of $100, the proceeds of which goes to the charity Child's Play.

PostPosted: Wed 5. Sep 2012, 22:36 

Today a Post was added to Greenlight Developer that every new Game that likes to be listed has to pay a 100$ fine to ensure credibility.

This money is donated to "Child's Play" - so at least they don't try to monetize but I think that's a major takedown for putting Starship Corp on Greenlight.
Maybe Ratakari uses some of the Donated Money as soon as he thinks the time fits.

A Link to the related Blog Post: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/news/?appid=765

PostPosted: Thu 6. Sep 2012, 07:23 

Jan_Ka wrote:
100$ fine to ensure credibility.

You're making this sound so negative. It's a great step forward for the program. Instead of everyone putting up any random game/program on there they're now filtering out essentially all the spam. If you're unwilling to pay $100 for the service of having the sort of advertising that Steam offers why would others what to pay to play the game.

Jan_Ka wrote:
I think that's a major takedown for putting Starship Corp on Greenlight.

If I recall correctly the current amount that has been contributed to this project is $13,106. Even if we don't take that into account $100 is a bargain for any developer who wants to get their game out among the people. Think about it, in what other situation could $100 get your product shown to millions of potential customers and have all of them be the correctly targeted audience, gamers.

PostPosted: Thu 6. Sep 2012, 10:55 

I agree that the $100 fine is a good thing. Before that, it was impossible for users to distinguish between fake or real game ideas - now the category, where StarshipCorp will be in (strategy) contains only 3 games!

PostPosted: Thu 6. Sep 2012, 12:22 

Ratakari wrote:
$100 fine

Just wish people would see it as a fee not a fine. Making it seem like such a negative process now.

Glad you do see the benefits of it and look forward to playing the Alpha!

PostPosted: Fri 7. Sep 2012, 17:01 

I agree, the 100$ entry fee is a step in the right direction, especially since valve doesn't touch any of it, but donates it to a charity instead. *Thumbs up for integrity x awesome*

On the note of greenlight as a whole, I'd love to see Starship Corporation there one day, but it seems far to early to put up starship yet, perhaps when it hits beta or is close to hitting beta.
Sure they would get a lot more publicity, but with a game as unfinished and confusing as Starship is in its current state (I had to watch the 22minute tutorial to even understand the construction part of the game) I would imagine it getting a lot of thumbs down, which is sad because it certainly does have potential, rather gain publicity as the game moves forward than have a massive bomb of publicity that turns out to explode in a negative way.
Just my 2 cent =)