Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 06:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Show your ship
PostPosted: Tue 25. Sep 2012, 16:45 

Here you can show off your ships and brag about them. :P

Gonna show you my first design with only 4 errors and no critical ones.
Though it isn't that beautifull because of the limited space.

First Deck
Second Deck

To be honest I would have designed it a lot safer and better but well.
Not sure how often I already said that but I want bigger hulls. :P

Now it's your turn.
Show us what you got.

Post subject: Re: Show your ship
PostPosted: Wed 26. Sep 2012, 10:45 

Here this is my design, dubbed TSC-120 (Transport Small Cargo)

Bad English, bear with me.

Limited funding and hull space made this a real game of Tetris, trying to shoehorn everything I thought would be necessary for a comfortable, safe and defensible ship. I designed the ship with the hope of getting the vessel to have high marks in two emergency situations/categories: asteroid strikes and pirates. Two of the most common dangers for supply ships in unknown space.

Bottom deck: Couldn't find another configuration that would allow enough room for a galley. I thought that good morale would help when fending off boarders, so i deemed it necessary to have one. Ironically, this left the fuel tanks very exposed. Any ship to ship collision would be catastrophic. That's a safety violation for sure, but something that'll need to be tested to further understand how vulnerable the ship is to those situations and if the dangers are enough to go back to the drawing board. To cover for asteroid strikes, I placed a shield generator at the bow to cover the most vulnerable tanks. One of the reasons the fuel tanks were placed in the wings was so that the generators would be more protected in the center mass of the ship. Without power the lift wouldn't work, trapping any survivors below decks. It was either lose all power and trap all the engineers with 4000 mt of fuel, or risk catastrophic detonations a few deaths but allow any survivors to escape. The galley and life support were placed here, simply because there wasn't any room on the top deck. Plenty of doors to navigate around this floor, didn't want a liner design where a single fire would trap crewmembers, so that in the case of fire, crew had more than one path to the elevator, allowing crew to circumvent any fire that might block their path in a more linear design. Doors connecting the generators to the fuel tanks was avoided, because I didn't want any fuel tank explosions to wreck the generators.

Top Deck: Here's where it gets interesting. Decided that the best way to fend off pirates was a last stand sort of thing. The ship is saved or lost at the bridge, so placed 5 hatches between the cargo and the bridge to buy time for everyone to get to the bridge where they'll either fight to the death or escape to the EEVs. Airtanks were shoehorned in, sort of sloppy. Medium Gen was placed in the back, where it's protected from any asteroids and supplies power to major systems such as the bridge, computer core, relays controlling the doors and EEVs. a small generator was placed in front that supplied energy to all the hypersleep rooms and the cargo bays. Not a big deal if the pirates destroy or disable it or asteroid takes it out.

Looking at the blueprints, I just decided that the path to the EEVs require crew members to run past the intruder's entrance to the bridge. Will fix this by deleting the Bridge/Computer Core hatch and have an escape route through the medic's room
through the air tanks and generator room. Will allow the crew to retreat backwards to the lifeboats instead of requiring them to charge forward to the escape pods.

results:
9 pilots, /11required
10 engineers/22 required
1 medic/ 2 medic required

used up 93% of budget and get 250,000 creds as profit... razor thin profit margin.

you may shower me with praise when ready...

PostPosted: Fri 28. Sep 2012, 23:09 

I stripped the ship to the core (Poor Crew).
This design will net you 843.400 c with 7/11 pilots, 16/20 Techs, 1/1 medics.

Deck 1

Deck 2

With 843.400 and the room you have left, i think you could make this into a decent ship. I didn't like the idea of having the Bridge at the same floor as the Cargo Rooms. So i messed around with it and i think this should be enough to hold anything, since the crew are mostly at Deck 1 and can quickly gather up at the Bridge before the enemy can get anywhere near it. I have no idea how important the Engine Room is tho.

Greets,
Murry

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 01:00 

@Murry

It's a nice design for making money I like it but it would be very interesting to see what would happen in a asteroid drill when it is released.
I highly doubt your ship would survive if it took an asteroid/missile/whatever to the Deck 2 fuel tanks which would probably ignite the Deck 1 fuel tanks right above them. And BOOM.
But all that extra money could go into protection a good starting build which can be added to.

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 02:01 

Hey guys I wanted to show you this design I came up with and would like your opinion on it.

It is more designed for a slightly larger hull because what I wanted to do was protect my crew and make sure they were safe at all costs. As you shall see in the pictures the place where I am most likely to be boarded, i.e. Cargo Hold, is a very long way from the bridge involving 2 elevator journeys and all the crew quarters and core areas are near the EEV allowing for quick escape. Unfortunately this means that an awful lot of space is taken up by corridors and its major problem is it doesn't have enough fuel and its over budget. But I hope you agree it would make a difficult fight for boarders and a slightly larger hull is required for this to work. I do put it to you to get my design to work if you can and still making it so boarders would have to go through 2 sets of lifts to get to the bridge. Enjoy.

S.O.A.P.

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 15:19 

@Snapes

Nice design but well... you miss one fuel tank and didn't fullfill the contract.

---------------------------

Ok, here comes my new optimized design with 86% usage of the budge. (I could add shield generators for extra safety but then I would make no profit.)
I fullfilled every single task the contract gave me.
The only flaws my ship has is now the low ammount of technicans but that won't be a big deal since I was told ships will be able to run even with only 50% of the actually required technicans.
Also the ship is designed for stellar transport so regular maintance at the local docks will prevent the ship from exploding. :D

I desided that I put most storage rooms in the upper deck because they fit there perfect. You can see unused space at the top because that's where actually a shield generator would be to protect the cargo and the fueltanks but those things cost too much and aren't worth a better rating. Also I don't think that the chances are high to encounter asteroids since the ship only travelles stellar in known areas and should be able to avoid those fields easily.

Designing the first deck was probably the hardest one. Since I got to put so many different rooms into it I need 2 small and 1 medium generators to even have enough slots and energy.
There are 3 EEV pots. 2 at the bridge and 1 next to the technicans quarters. I would have liked to give them both 2 EEVs I think pilots are more important than technicans and they all fit in those EEVs anyway. The only thing I don't like at this deck is that my technicans are so far away from the engine room but I think that's not that bad.

Please tell me what you like and what you don't like at my design so I can maybe improve it. :D

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 15:49 

Just so you guys remember 1 EEV can only old 10 crew members

"I'm watching you punk"
"Really? I'm watching me too sir!"

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 15:57 

Well, I got 3 so I think that will work out with only 24 crew members.

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 16:16 

yep i just wanted you guys to know for your future designs. Also i think he said he might change it so that EEV's can only hold 5 crew members

"I'm watching you punk"
"Really? I'm watching me too sir!"

PostPosted: Sat 29. Sep 2012, 16:40 

I hope he doesn't. :(
In this plans I think I managed to optimize it almost as good as possible (maybe there are some things I could do better) and now I have to build 2 more EEVs?

Since I try to RP building my ships some evacuation pods are one of the most important parts of the ship.
Also if you can fit 4 technicans into a room almost as big as an EEV + the beds and personal stuff then you'll also be able to make some escape shuttles with 10 people.