Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 17:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Corridors
PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 16:09 

I just played Starship Corporation again after the new 1.5 release and I noticed something that was also in the last release.
You just can't place corridors and finish the contract.
There is never enough place even for a small corridor and that really bothers me.

I don't want my crew to go through each other quarter or my military through the generator to get to their destination.
Please look up the missions and tweak them somehow so building corridors doesn't makes fullfilling the contract impossible.

Post subject: Re: Corridors
PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 17:45 

Well, alot of small scifi ships (Think Firefly) don't have many corridor, only hatches. You can also look at submarine designs vs Battleship designs. Every space is important for small ships. While bigger ships need to look for effecient travel, because they have so many things to access and they are spread all over the ship.

At least i'm hoping thats the reason why there is no room for corridors, till the bigger ships release.

PostPosted: Tue 8. Jan 2013, 06:56 

Murry makes a good point, corridors, while useful, aren't entirely necessary for small ships such as those currently available to us. I mean really, how much time are we saving by adding a few corridors to the transport ship? a few seconds? it's not entire efficient to get corridors for just that as opposed to a battlecruiser where it could take very well twice as long to travel from one end to the other without said corridors then it would if you did have them. I just don't think it's that much of a problem right now, we should wait for the larger ships to see if corridors become and actual problem for contract completion.

PostPosted: Thu 10. Jan 2013, 13:31 

I can totally empathize - I love to build corridors! There will be huge ships, where corridors are essential - otherwise the small crew wont be able to cover all the rooms on their route - they are travelling at much greater speed through corridors than (some) rooms.

PostPosted: Fri 7. Jun 2013, 07:11 

Murry wrote:
Well, alot of small scifi ships (Think Firefly) don't have many corridor, only hatches. You can also look at submarine designs vs Battleship designs. Every space is important for small ships. While bigger ships need to look for effecient travel, because they have so many things to access and they are spread all over the ship.

Exactly.

One thing that really bothers me is the placement of hatches on corridors. After playing around with it I actually think I found a bug. The situations in which you can or can not place a hatch at a certain spot on a corridor seems to be pretty erratic. It would be nice to be able to place a hatch anywhere on a corridor. Why shouldn't I be allowed to put a hatch on every side of a Corridor2?

Trying to place an EEV on one design really drove the point home for me (I've tried to simulate the situation I ran into in the picture below). I had everything in place and just needed one last EEV to be 100% green. I had a pretty wide open space at one spot, but couldn't connect a hatch to the side of the corridor, so I had to rearrange quite a bit to make things work.
Attachment:
File comment: Why can't I do this?!?!
Corridor trouble 1.jpg
Corridor trouble 1.jpg [ 43.19 KiB | Viewed 13045 times ]

In some cases you can place a hatch on a corner of a corridor, in some you can't.
Attachment:
File comment: Able to place a hatch on the corner of Corridor4 and Corridor 5 but not on a Corridor4 and Corridor 3.
Corridor trouble 2.jpg
Corridor trouble 2.jpg [ 36.18 KiB | Viewed 13045 times ]

Unfortunately L corridors don't make up for it because they are massive (for what they are).
Attachment:
File comment: Using an L Section a hatch and any 2x2 room takes up a crazy amount of space!
Corridor trouble.jpg
Corridor trouble.jpg [ 94.42 KiB | Viewed 13045 times ]

This does add an extra layer of challenge to ship layout, but one that I think is unnecessary and frustrating.

PostPosted: Sat 8. Jun 2013, 03:37 

yeah, that edge of corridor anti-hatch zone definitely looks like a bug to me, is there a thread? if not then post a thread in the 1.6 bugs forum, the more coverage the better.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Jun 2013, 13:26 

Solution to corridor problem can be make them woks as another rooms. Cancel corridor seal, just connect corridors, add hatches and when you bake them let open ends of corridor seal automatically.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Jun 2013, 19:18 

I think your right about small ships not having corridors. Its the same with small boats and big boats. And its the same in houses. If its being trapped in a room your worried about then i think vents could cover that.

PostPosted: Fri 30. Aug 2013, 17:24 

I think that the corridor section would benefit from the following points:

1. Hatches can be placed at any position of the corridor, but remain the 1 space between 2 doors
2. the L-section have to be 2x2, also the T-section and the crossing
3. this render the big S-sections useless so the can be removed but the is the need of a small one with the sidestep of one raster

the goal is easier way to plot the corridor around the rooms and grant easier access to them.

the one who find mistakes may keep them for his own use.

PostPosted: Tue 29. Apr 2014, 22:00 

Maybe it's from just playing the very old game Evil Genius recently, but especially w/ power and cooling being done via painting a grid is there a reason Corridors couldn't be done that way as well w/ a 2x2 brush, and 'hatches' simply automatically happen at corridor/room edges, and prevent more than 2 squares of corridor in a row from touching a room?

I.E. You'd "paint" corridors the same way you do w/ power/cooling (which is a really powerful interface for all the infrastructure) and hatches would simply no longer exist as separate items in the construction tool then, they'd occur automatically at the seams.