Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 08:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Armor Everywhere Toggle
PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 09:46 

Whew, just placed Armor on every exterior square of the 5-deck Yantai Erismax hull...and boy let me tell ya are my arms tired.

Perhaps a future version can have a toggle switch that fills every (non-hatch filled) square with armor or resets it to blank.

The player can still go through the ship and right click to remove armor from places he doesn't want it, which seems faster and easier...especially if they want to go full Armadillo.

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 20:51 

This idea I like, I completely agree with it, with the large amount of decks I got bored

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Mon 13. Jan 2014, 15:06 

I had the same idea and was coming here to post it. So all my support to this!

PostPosted: Tue 14. Jan 2014, 12:06 

As a separate issue, I think armor should have some negative impact on speed, maneuverability and/or range. As it currently stands, it's cheap enough that there's almost no reason not to ever fully armor the hulls with budgets over 10mil.

PostPosted: Wed 15. Jan 2014, 13:26 

like at the small shuttle and solar express there are good reasons not to turtle the whole ship.
at least there is the questipn of max your profit.

PostPosted: Wed 15. Jan 2014, 15:19 

It's not a case of whether or not you will use if for profitability.
It's just an easier way to clad a ship that has lots of decks.
Making people gaming exportable less tedious is key here.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Thu 16. Jan 2014, 15:38 

i think the "full armor" button is quite usefull, but the must be the possibility to micromanage armor.
if you want a siple game with designing ships without the trouble of how to place the armor then you should play space empires v or sword of the stars.
I like the micromanagement of the game! for that reason my only problem is that there are actually only one room of each type.
if you have 5 or 20 types (i really really hope for that)of armor and/or more expensive armor type the option of only full armor is almost useless.
i think a option "fill rest of armor slotts with..." or "armor x to front/side/rear" would suit much better.

PostPosted: Fri 17. Jan 2014, 10:45 

Armor painting tool: we need much faster way to place armor, like guys above already said, armor all will be nice feature, but what if we have tool with function like power a cooling grid already have (ctrl key).

Armor needs different stats, right now battleship have same armor as little shuttle.

Shuttle should have armor in centimeters and battleship in meters.

So we can have armor plates with different density or make bigger models with multiple armor layers

Will be nice, if we can armor inside hull, to create partition walls to armor vital systems, magazines etc (armored doors needed)

Armor should have great effect on inertia

PostPosted: Fri 17. Jan 2014, 15:15 

Quote:
Shuttle should have armor in centimeters and battleship in meters.

i think there are several armor layers planed that are part of the different fuselages.

Quote:
Will be nice, if we can armor inside hull, to create partition walls to armor vital systems, magazines etc (armored doors needed)

this is a deep change. makes several layers unnessesary. you will need only the actual one to outline the fuselage and have a space for the hatches.
then i argee with the effect on inertia. In the other case of the layer-model this fact has to be dealt with the fusselage data.(actual not function, specific mass displayed but not calculated)

PostPosted: Thu 23. Jan 2014, 00:24 

Rob wrote:
i think the "full armor" button is quite usefull, but the must be the possibility to micromanage armor.
if you want a siple game with designing ships without the trouble of how to place the armor then you should play space empires v or sword of the stars.
I like the micromanagement of the game!

That's why I just suggested adding a toggle that puts it all on or off. It wouldn't change the existing functionality, which is still there, and let's you individually add or delete any specific armor piece you want.

[quote="Rob'] for that reason my only problem is that there are actually only one room of each type.
if you have 5 or 20 types (i really really hope for that)of armor and/or more expensive armor type the option of only full armor is almost useless.
i think a option "fill rest of armor slotts with..." or "armor x to front/side/rear" would suit much better.[/quote]

There are definitely already certain decks on some hulls where you can have two or three layers of armor over a specific part (usually the front) of the ship...so this already seems in there.

I agree that having certain "brands" or varying quality/price/mass/effectiveness for rooms would be cool.

Do I want a Saltwater Nuclear Rocket engine? It requires more shielding...but it is a lot cheaper than a Fusion Torch Drive...etc