Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024, 22:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 10. Sep 2014, 21:02 

after playing this game for a good time i ended up wishing for a time management for my character.

at first it was simply to know the timing of their patrol, then i found it was more than that and open a way to give more chalenge to the game.

here are some of the ideas:

- when assigning a character (or group) to patrol in some rooms, it would be good to have the possibility to open a full list of the tasks they shall do and the time they take to do it.

example:
1 maintenance at the engine (x seconds)
1* travel to point 2 (x seconds)
2 maintenance at generator (x seconds)
2* travel to point 3 (x seconds)
y* travel to point 1 (x seconds)
total time of the patrol (x seconds)

- in addition to the first point, you could add in that list a possibility to add more seconds for the maintenance (making in the list of task what we can already do in the game)

- you could get a warning (red color, additionnal text,...) when the total time of the patrol exceed the maintenance timer of one of the rooms. on the long run it could cause problem as that room would lose efficiency between two maintenance check unless efficiency loss is counter balanced by a longer time spent in said room to restore it to some higher efficiency level.

- a system could also be made so one patrol could wait for a second patrol to arrive so the character requirement for the maintenance could be met.

for example, you can have one technician patrolling for the maintenance of living quarter on the first level of the ship while another technician is patrolling for the maintenance of the storage room on the second level of the ship (both set of room needing only one technician for patrol) and later on their patrol they could wait each other to do the maintenance for bigger room requiring 2 technicians like medium generator and medium cooling system.

That way we could reduce needed crew and spare time by making the patrol have the strict minimum character needed. (and building ship that allow such kind of patrol could be a personal challenge.)

- to add some challenge, we can also add the need for crew member to have resting time, free time and eating time, but that would also need to make a relation betwen ingame time and real time (like 1 minute IRL being 30 minutes in-game, making the 10 minute SOP a 5 hour mission). that way, we can help increasing the moral on the ship by giving more free time to the crew (be it in their quarter or in some specialized rooms) or (like the galley suggest) allow them to eat in a better environment than their working station.

PostPosted: Sun 1. May 2016, 14:55 

Quote:
for example, you can have one technician patrolling for the maintenance of living quarter on the first level of the ship while another technician is patrolling for the maintenance of the storage room on the second level of the ship (both set of room needing only one technician for patrol) and later on their patrol they could wait each other to do the maintenance for bigger room requiring 2 technicians like medium generator and medium cooling system.

This.

I don't have a good suggestion for the user interface -- the various left-click, right-click, right-click-hold, click-drag, control-click options are already borderline overwhelming -- but some way to tell people to wait for others seems essential.

Otherwise you either have to send huge teams to do the work of one person -- which is dumb -- or they're never all together in the room that needs n techs.

For what it's worth, the entire business of micromanaging patrol routes to cover the various maintenance intervals does zero for me. If I stop playing, that will almost certainly be why. If it were me, I would scrap the whole system -- or at least have a default mode in which people just go and maintain what needs maintaining, without having to be told how to hold the spanner every single time.

PostPosted: Sun 1. May 2016, 18:17 

phik wrote:
or at least have a default mode in which people just go and maintain what needs maintaining, without having to be told how to hold the spanner every single time.

Oh god yes.