Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 19:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 21:00 

Mostly dealing with Military Gear for now...I'll probobly have more ideas later.

1. Spinal Weapons: the Turreted and Rocket Weapon Systems are good, but a Spinal Cannon would do alot more damage to a hostile ship...and space being a Zero-G Enviroment means that moving the ship to aim the cannon isn't that big of a deal...of course this wouldn't work for the istallation side of the game...but it shouldn't be too hard to lock it to ships.

2. Point Defence Weapons: Anti-Fighter/Corvette weapons that most competent Sci-Fi uses would be great here, it could secondary as an Anti-Asteriod Duty System....you can have it be Rail Guns or Lasers(Ala Mass Effect), eather way would work...I'd classify this as a Defence though... Unlike my last suggestion, this one would work perfectly well with Installations.

3. Stealth Systems/Rooms/thingies: The first thought that entered my mind when I saw your proposal/trailer thing was making my own Normandy Stealth Ship...and the fact that I didn't see a 'stealth management' thing as an option kinda dissapointed me. You can go with something hard sciency as a Heat Sink system that could only work for a limited time, a Holographic Desiguise System, Passive Stealth Suite, or even a Star Trek-ish cloaking device... Again, something that could work with installations

4. Fabricators. Including a kind of Fabricator system would allow you to include a new kind of ship, a Construction ship...or maybee even a smaller Fabrictor suite for on ship repairs.

6. Corvette 'shells'. Including something around 50 Meters and classifying it as a Corvette shell or prowler shell adds a whole 'nouther group of ships that the player can make...

That's all I got so far...

Last edited by RX-22H 'H' Gundam on Wed 8. Aug 2012, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 21:55 

great stuff! keep it coming...

I really need ideas for different weapon systems, that have unique ways of damaging/disabling ships. Also, what kind of weapons could be possible to only disable the crew and limit damage to the target´s hull to a minimum?

PostPosted: Tue 7. Aug 2012, 23:59 

Ratakari wrote:

I really need ideas for different weapon systems, that have unique ways of damaging/disabling ships. Also, what kind of weapons could be possible to only disable the crew and limit damage to the target´s hull to a minimum?

an ECM/EMP System would dissable the ship without harming it or the crew, and an electrical weapon could fry the crew while only shorting out the computer systems... A Chemical/Biological Weapon would most certaintly get the job done.

I can give you plenty more idea, but before I go farther, I need to know, what kinda tech level are we talking? will FTL come into the picture eventually.

Note; I may change the title of the thread into something like H Gundam's Ideas, and make this my idea thread so we can just talk here about my ideas and suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:06 

I like EMP weapons, I am already preparing for emergency missions with "magnetic storms", the effect could be quite similar.
Chemical weapons are mentioned in another post too.

At the moment I just have 3 types of engines categorized:
- solar (short)
- interstellar (medium)
. crossgalactic (long distance)
different fuelneed, huge price difference
How they actually work, we can geek out together ;)

I prefer the idea of making travel between stars realllly timeconsuming (like in the Alien Universe or the age of sail), and I don´t like jumpgates (although I know they can be a game design necessity)
Also, I would like the travelling process to be very "difficult". The autopilot slows down the ship and wakes the crew, whenever anything unexpected comes too close to the ships path. A safety precaution, that can be exploited by pirates by tugging shipwrecks into the Interplanetary Recommended Transit Corridor.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:22 

Ratakari wrote:
I like EMP weapons, I am already preparing for emergency missions with "magnetic storms", the effect could be quite similar.
Chemical weapons are mentioned in another post too.

At the moment I just have 3 types of engines categorized:
- solar (short)
- interstellar (medium)
. crossgalactic (long distance)
different fuelneed, huge price difference
How they actually work, we can geek out together ;)

I prefer the idea of making travel between stars realllly timeconsuming (like in the Alien Universe or the age of sail), and I don´t like jumpgates (although I know they can be a game design necessity)
Also, I would like the travelling process to be very "difficult". The autopilot slows down the ship and wakes the crew, whenever anything unexpected comes too close to the ships path. A safety precaution, that can be exploited by pirates by tugging shipwrecks into the Interplanetary Recommended Transit Corridor.

I do know that a good Solar Range Drive would be a Fusion Torch, good for making a slow trip and giving even short range ships that chance of bad stuff happening....before getting into mid range and long range, would you be open to Warp and/or Slip Space? you can have them drop out when an error occures or they are attacked... I would even make Slipspace like the UNSC Slipspace, where you don't know where you'll be exactly when you come out...leading to more player possibilities...and the jumps will still be long and arduas when you want to insert problems.

Now, about weapons tech...

How about a Radiation Beam Weapon?

or Pulse Cannons/Spinal Pulse Weapons for high end spectrum, you can just say that they're energy weapons, or you can use something Harder Sciency...

I would also have anouther kind of warhead for Missiles, Nano Warheads, basicly Grey Goo weapons, that can disolve the ship...obviosly a last resort weapon.

Also, a low tech solution could be Nuclear weapons.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:42 

Charles Stross' novels mention a lidar sensor system on a warship that, in combat, can have its power ramped up to be used as an energy weapon to incinerate anything near it. The same system would focus on saltwater missiles launched by the ship, to heat them up and propel them. (Singularity Sky is the title, if anyone's interested, and I HEARTILY recommend it.)

PostPosted: Sun 26. Aug 2012, 22:38 

RX-22H 'H' Gundam wrote:

How about a Radiation Beam Weapon?

If I were to recommend some sort of radiation weapon, I would recommend either some sort of Gamma Ray, which can disrupt the atoms of both the crew and the ship. I noticed on the page including all of the ship components you said "Normal Armor". To protect against this, you could use radiation-proof armor, which can if not stop the Gamma rays, would let much fewer in, with the drawback of larger cost. Several fuselages could be radiation-proof normally, but you could add the radiation-proof armor to protect the crew, but the hull would still degrade (given that armor is placed on the inside of the fuselage). You could also fire a radiation emitter at the enemy ship, which could do effectively the same, except it persists longer, sticking to the hull. It won't do as much damage per second, but it will cost lots of money, as it can disrupt the computer systems and whatnot more effectively over time. It would be very powerful, however there could also be a potential it misfires, or slowly kills the crew if mishandled, or just accidentally. It should also be kept in a room that is radiation-plated to prevent disaster.

PostPosted: Tue 28. Aug 2012, 05:33 

Ratakari wrote:

There are already existing such weapons witch will be used in WW III; the neutron bomb.
A kind of atomic bomb witch is exploding at 30 km altitude. It causes slightly damage at the ground because of the blast. But the emmited rays are responsible for wiping out all life instantly 10 km around point zero, no matter if it is in the open or in a bunker. 15 km away it have a lifespan of 24 hours. Up to 25 km away you can count it in month.

- So what about a neutron-gun, witch can be focused on a peticulary section of the target (Bridge, Crew compartments and so on)?
    But it have to exaust a heavy load of neutron rays and therefore needs a gigantic amount of energy. Because a spaceship for interstellar flight will be shielded against such rays, otherwise noone will overcome a flight outside a starsystem (No protection through solar winds). So only extreme heavy cruisers may have such a weapon.
- or maybe an attack robot coming through an airlock/docking port who emmits such rays.
    Such a weapon could be relative small, because it is in the enemy ship already!

Other kinds of weaponary with the same goal:
- Providing you send a distress signal and a ship witch wants to help you will open it's communications channels.
    Then you submit a computer-virus (sucessful, if the target have no or only an insufficient firewall) witch wil shutdown the lifesupport or/and open the decompression valves, shutdown the energy cores/weapons or comparible critical sections.
- biological or chemical warhead on a rocket
    Slightly damage on hull. Would cause death only in a small area when the enemy ship is internaly sealed by airlocks. But if the section is critical (like the bridge) it may be ok until the air conditioning is cleaning up.
    In this senario again a attack robot is to be prefered, because it can move in the enemy ship until it's destruction.

- energy flaw rocket: a huge rocket witch contains a very big resistor and radiator.
    It penetrates the hull, targeted onto an energy source and drains it.
    The bad side is that the enemy ship's hull is punctured at multiple sections. The good side is that the crew have to minimize immedeatly the power consumption. With useless energy weapons, maybe propulsion too and a few hull leaks witch may cause a disoriented crew the enemy ship can be an easy target.

All in all the computer virus is the most effective weapon against the crew, i suppose. Even if that means, that you may be forced to travel to a spacestation/-port in witch the target is docked. Make a visit (and yes, i have played Elite Frontier) or bribe a technician at the spacestation\-port to place the virus inside the enemy ship or on spare parts for it.

Post subject: H Gundams Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Fri 7. Sep 2012, 04:22 

I didnt realise how important the titles were either until I had to search for something. Took over half an hour to find the thread I wanted.
It really does make a difference to be specific. also guilty of not being so in the past