Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sun 12. May 2024, 13:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 14:42 

I wanted to share some great new ideas I just got by mail:

- Cooling System: The player not only has to control power supply, but also build and connect enough cooling units to keep rooms like power genertors, engine room and weapons from overheating. Damage to one of those units (and not enough backup untis) could lead to a slow but certain death of the ship (sound familiar?)

You could also turn off the cooling system on purpose scuttle the ship (not after pushing a lot of "are you sure" buttons and a countdown of course)

These ideas made the game even more challenging (in Ship Design) and a lot cooler, eh?

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 14:53 

It's a nice idea, as long as it doesn't get bogged down in having to lay complex tube systems in an extra layer or something (I just dislike the idea of becoming essentialy a space plumber) but if its just
something like a new type of room or if the tube system ignores the existing rooms (so that the tubes are for ingame purposes under the floor) I think it's a really good idea.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 15:47 

the game should be called Space Plumbing Inc. from now on... :lol:

no tubes! a simple mousedrag to connect the rooms that need cooling, just like the energy supply

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:39 

Ratakari wrote:

no tubes! a simple mousedrag to connect the rooms that need cooling, just like the energy supply

But let's think about the Tube Idea for one small moment, would you?
They could be placed above or under a room (like Geoffrey tubs on a star trek vessel) and crew could use them to get to rooms. Like a backup hallway. The Crewmember would travel less quickyl (because they need to crawl) and also enemies could break open the access hatches and then you have a real good alien situation :)

I am a sick bastard so i also wish for traps that accommodate the rooms beneath or above. Then I get this classic "firewall of death" thing every better space vessel needs. Every guy needs to know the exact timeframe they can travel or SPACETOAST!

Just kidding - there will be no timeframe.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:45 

In all seriousness, being able to intentionally misuse onboard systems to use them against boarders (flood a compartment with exhaust gases, deactivate a compartment's cooling systems to roast invaders) would be VERY cool... also an interesting way to execute a "the ship has been boarded, everyone's dead except for one technician sealed in the engine room, what do you do?" kind of scenario :)

It also occurs to me that disposable heat sinks would be an interesting way for 'combat cooling' quickly and messily; since vacuum insulates really well, it's difficult to bleed off a lot of heat into space all at once. Dumping the heat into an exterior heat sink would light the ship up on sensors like a firework going off, which means jettisoning the sink into space could create a diversion... or even a crude weapon.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 20:56 

Chaospockets109 wrote:
In all seriousness, being able to intentionally misuse onboard systems to use them against boarders (flood a compartment with exhaust gases, deactivate a compartment's cooling systems to roast invaders) would be VERY cool... also an interesting way to execute a "the ship has been boarded, everyone's dead except for one technician sealed in the engine room, what do you do?" kind of scenario :)

It also occurs to me that disposable heat sinks would be an interesting way for 'combat cooling' quickly and messily; since vacuum insulates really well, it's difficult to bleed off a lot of heat into space all at once. Dumping the heat into an exterior heat sink would light the ship up on sensors like a firework going off, which means jettisoning the sink into space could create a diversion... or even a crude weapon.

I think Boarding Shuttles are a big deal in SCO so the next natural thing to think about is to fill such a vessel with heat sinks, dock to a enemy ship. Drop the sinks out of the cargo hold into the hallways and boil them in their own soup :) Also - something not related: Can we place Shuttle Bays as well? At first it doesn't seem to matter but think about this: If my shuttle bay is located at stern i could fly "over" an other ship and jettison my shuttles as I pass by. I could get the main ship out of the enemies deadzone but can be sure that my boarding crew is in place.

Just an Idea

PostPosted: Fri 17. Aug 2012, 17:54 

Jan_Ka wrote:
Ratakari wrote:

But let's think about the Tube Idea for one small moment, would you?
They could be placed above or under a room (like Geoffrey tubs on a star trek vessel) and crew could use them to get to rooms. Like a backup hallway. The Crewmember would travel less quickyl (because they need to crawl) and also enemies could break open the access hatches and then you have a real good alien situation :)

I am a sick bastard so i also wish for traps that accommodate the rooms beneath or above. Then I get this classic "firewall of death" thing every better space vessel needs. Every guy needs to know the exact timeframe they can travel or SPACETOAST!

Just kidding - there will be no timeframe.

Question if I may? When you say no timeframe, you mean like no 'Distance traveled' or 'Ship Launched at XX-X-XXXX date' ?

PostPosted: Fri 17. Aug 2012, 20:54 

No I think he means that traps aboard the ships work on a specific schedule and if one of the crew forgets this schedule he/she will find a sudden and violent death (like in Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen where the Ship has a hallway filled with deadly traps just because it's cool) and then I guess he made a dark joke (basically saying that on his ship said hallway would never be safe for traveling through resulting in countless lifes lost)

PostPosted: Sat 18. Aug 2012, 13:26 

Widd3r wrote:
No I think he means that traps aboard the ships work on a specific schedule and if one of the crew forgets this schedule he/she will find a sudden and violent death (like in Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen where the Ship has a hallway filled with deadly traps just because it's cool) and then I guess he made a dark joke (basically saying that on his ship said hallway would never be safe for traveling through resulting in countless lifes lost)

One giant Space Cookie for you for the right guess - i tried and failed at being funny :)

Zeih wrote:
Question if I may? When you say no timeframe, you mean like no 'Distance traveled' or 'Ship Launched at XX-X-XXXX date' ?

Wouldn't it be funny if there would be an non changeable Commission Date on Every Ship? At first - as your ship ages it's value lowers but after an certain sweetspot it would rise in price because of an "veteran" or "oldtimer" status?
Also I would like it if an "oldtimer" ship would have a ruleset against "hardware modding" - so. You can't change rooms or upgrade them. Just the crew can be altered., so you have to invest more time in tactic and training. That would make some good Missions :)

PostPosted: Sat 18. Aug 2012, 19:49 

omg, great idea!

"old timer" ships could reach enormous collectors value - everyone will be on the hunt for spare parts "manufactured before 2200" :D
that is like the hunt for alien artefacts, only the "down to earth" version - I love it!