Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sun 28. Apr 2024, 00:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 4. Oct 2014, 20:08 

My suggestion for room's are a tram system akin to dead space (USG Ishimura).
this could be beneficial for moving around huge ships.
This could be done simply with double wide corridors providing twice the speed boost of corridors but twice the power consumption.

Or it could be made more complicated, requiring station rooms and stops which eat more power than tracks.
The station room could be to "repair or replace trams", requiring a rather large room (hangar sized)
while stops could be placed along the track as access points, accessable by hatches while the tram lines themselves cannot be.

they could also have their own Tram Line Ramp piece which works the same as stairs/elevators but for tram lines, one key difference being that each piece can only go up or down once but doesn't require power. (its basically a ramp) as well as a Tram Elevator.

to summarise.
i'm assuming trams are 4x6 (may not actually be a unit)
Tram Line 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, end. = Double width and double power cost of corridors but twice the speed. Inacessable via hatches.

Tram line Rotator cross section = akin to a cross or T section corridor "Trams stop here and rotate onto new track." 6x6 sized. innacessable by hatches. Double the power cost of a corridor x section.

Tram Line Ramp = stairs for the tram line. Exception: can only go up or down one deck per piece (only one arrow) sized 4x5. same power cost as tram line 5.
can only be connected on one side to tram line. (opposite side on each deck since its a ramp= / <- but rotated 90 degrees)

Tram Line Elevator = An elevator for trams. not accessable by hatches. 4x6 sized

Tram Stop = Acessable via hatches. sized 6x6. requires 12 power. Basically allows people to access the tram lines. they have to walk through a stop before walking down the track.

Tram Repair Station = similar to how a Medbay Extention requires a Medbay, Tram stations require a Tram Repair Station. sized 8 x 12. requires 25 power. can connect both to tram lines and hatches but its less power and cost and space efficent than using stops.

PostPosted: Sat 4. Oct 2014, 22:08 

sounds a good idea

tram cars would appear when its in use also ability to disable system by per line for repairs or emergencies
ramps can be placed anywhere in ship

also tram stops should have no access to trackway when in use - only enter tram cars

also bulkheads can be used here to seal the tram system from rest

emergency exits from tram car if car suddenly stop midway between stops - the car moves to nearset emergency exit - this could be used as maintenance access

PostPosted: Mon 6. Oct 2014, 11:58 

a tram system would be cool, but that would be quite expensive to have and you would need to have many people using it to make it cost effective.

for the USG ishimura, the population in the ship was around a thousand people (1332 according to the wikia) so the tram system was needed to allow, for all of them, a fast and easy access to the living quarter section (with the canteen and galley of the ship) and the medical section .
If i got it right, the ishimura's tram car could hold like 30-35 people at max.
in addition, the usg ishimura is 1,6 kilometer long making the time gained quite significant as the station seem to be more than 300 meter away from each other.

so yes, tram system would be cool, but we dont have yet a ship big enough to make the time gained significant (our biggest ship availlable seem to be about 100 meter long, if we count with the boarding time ancceleration and decelleration time there would be no big gain on short distance, only direct link between front and rear part of the ship would be effective on ship of that size), so i dont expect it to be in game rapidly.

but i hope we could get some giant ship (probably not as big as the Ishimura but big enough to implement a tram system in it) so tram system would be useful in managing large crew , especially, if the crew member got some need of their own, like eating and sleeping( which are not in game yet, we have galley but character dont use it and the sleeping quarter are just the spawning point for characters at the start of each mission after that they can be turned off as the characters dont need to return to it).

PostPosted: Tue 7. Oct 2014, 23:08 

I agree that it would be cool to have ships big enough to support such a system (if that is possible) i could imagine players designing hull classes in the future.
also having characters using the galley and their quarters would be a neat edition and give good function to a tram system.

That said, a tram system would make a great deal of sense just for getting crew to where they need to be quickly in emergency conditions (alerts) even if crew don't need to return to their bunks afterwards.

whether or not an actual tram is added as a unit. or if tram lines become oversized corridors (that get ran down) with specific entrances and exits, is up to the coding, i would be fine with either alternatives as i can understand the shear complexity of adding another unit with its own set paths into the game.

not that i'm a coder, it just sounds like it would be a headache.

another option is sideways traveling elevators. see "Destiny" from SGU (Stargate Universe)

PostPosted: Thu 11. Dec 2014, 06:23 

possibly a tram system for larger ship - the new upcoming ship looks giant