Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Mon 29. Apr 2024, 02:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Alien Technology
PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 13:42 

In your videos you speak about the ability to take over enemy ships and add the technology used in those ships to your own. I get that this would be fairly easy with ships built by other humans (or if you are an alien by other aliens of the same race), but what if you are playing as the humans and you bord and capture an alien ship? Strictly logical speaking it wouldn't be that easy to use technology which is alien to you for your own purposes.

So i guess my question is how complex are you going to make the tech-tree? will there be one for all races or will different races have entirely different sets of technology (which I would think would give the game another layer of complexity especially if getting these technologies would open up new possibilities for using your own technology, for example if you get energy shields from the aliens you could build more efficient balistic weapons since the shield negates the need for heavy heat shielding around the barrels).

And as for ideas I would love to see the ship editor used for space stations and planetary installations.
For example you could simulate an invasion an entire planetary invasion through a few scrippted missions or a xenomorph outbreack on one of your stations (think Alien 4).

Post subject: Re: Alien Technology
PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 13:53 

Thank you for that suggestion!

I would love to incorporate the possibility to discover new technology in outer space, however I donĀ“t want to use "alien spaceships" that work in the same way as human technology does. This project will either feature aliens that are so completely different, that even without technology their very existance is life-threating for humans, and: Humans that have distanced themselves from the "solar society" so long ago, that a in meeting between those two, the cultural and technological differences would be so vast, that either side would consider the other as "alien".

Post subject: Re: Alien Technology
PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 20:32 

On a similar topic it would be awesome if you could capture aliens and integrate them into your crew, with specialized living quarters or even entire decks of a ship designed to house only aliens.
I hope you don't mind me just shouting random ideas I'm just really pumped about this game ^^