Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024, 19:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion (MISC)
PostPosted: Sat 3. Nov 2012, 22:47 

Hello!

I want to first off thank you for exploring this idea into gaming. One of my favorite parts of all space games is the building and designing of spacecraft. Being able to design the layout of a starship, and put not only the ship but also it's crew through it's paces is amazing. The flexibility and creativity you are able to employ in what I've seen so far is wonderful. I can see how this game can expand into a truly massive experience, and I am anticipating everything you hope to achieve comes to fruition.

I've played your alpha version now for about a day and I can only say that I'm excited to see how you further develop what's been released into a more polished game. What I've read online and watched on you-tube show that you ask for input and suggestions, so I figured I'd put in my 2-cents worth. If I'm repeating what someone else already said, I can only appologize. So, here we go...

1) Why are you limited to only 10 structures being able to be powered by a generator? If you were not limited to the amount of rooms you could power with a generator, it would ultimately save in costs and crew. It would then offer a player a choice beween large central power-sources or redundancy in multiple nodes. A designer choosing a single generator would incur risk related to its vulnerability, but save in crew costs. A designer choosing multiple generators would gain redundancy, but also face a higher crew demand.

2) Within the construction screen, I keep moving the main view around when I try and access the differant menus. The keyboard commands are helpful, but would it be possible to make the main view only moveable if you click-and-drag?

3) Supplying power from the generators to the generators' assigned components is counter-intuitive to me. Could a button be placed on the generators screen that does the same thing as shift+drag?

4) I keep confusing where different rooms are in the choice screen based on the titles. For instance, I keep clicking "tech facilities" for the life-support room; or, "crew quarters" for the galley. Can all the guns, missles, armor and shields go in the "military que"? All the crew quarters, android station, galley and escape pods go in the "crew" section. The generators, engine room, power relay, fuel tanks go in an "engineering" section. The air, water, life support go in a "hydroponics" section. Keep the corridors section the same.

5) You could expand the "storage section" with differant sizes and capacities of cargo bays, which would allow you to meet a total cargo requirement by your client....but make the difference between a bulk-freighter and specialty goods carrier available. ie: choosing between big and huge cargo bays or multiple smaller bays. You could also seperate hangar bays into shuttle / fighter/ general etc...with benefits and problems with each.

6) I'm curious why the "lift" is availiable in the alpha imediately but you have to pay for the "stairway". It makes more sense to me to have the cheeper (and more low tech) stairway available before the lift. Think Firefly vs Aliens.

7) It would be neat to add a hydroponics garden. You read about them a lot in novels. It could generate some air and water, offer a morale boost, but be space intensive and require crew to support.

I look forward to seeing new alpha/beta releases in the future. I also like what I hear is coming with different room sizes for major components. It makes a lot more sense knowing that that is coming since a tramp freighter and a battleship shouldn't have the same sized bridge and engine-room. :) Please keep up the amazing work you are doing on this project, it is truly impressive. I can only say I look forward to everything that may come of it in the future.

Thank you,

Witchlin