Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 07:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 00:11 

First of, I think the new idea is a lot better then the old system. However, having played the new contract with the missile ship, I have stumbled across a problem: 1 large generator is exactly enough power to power all 10 missile bays. But the missile control and the cooling systems for the missile bays still are offline. This eventually leads to a point where switches aren't that useful anymore as I can't power my whole attack-system with one click.

I see two possibilities to solve this problem: Either you can line multiple lines over the same switch or there is a possibility to connect two generators (or their power circuits) so that the resulting circuit has more power.

As this is the only mission I played so far I'm not able to tell, weather switches play out more useful in other contracts or not.

Your thoughts about this issue?

Last edited by Royal_Flush on Sun 2. Jun 2013, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 7. Jan 2013, 04:13 

the secondary thought is bang on! i was just thinking about larger ships and how i'd like to have all my generators on the same deck, link them all up and distribute the power accordingly, it would also cut down on costs since you wouldn't need to run individual lines from individual generators

+1 this idea fo' sho'

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 06:37 

It seems to me, it would be a good idea to allow different generators power lines to be connected, allowing for easier design, and redundancy in case of damage to one generator.

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 10:37 

Yes, I suggest build power (possibly all other) conduits separately to power generator. So I can make single power net and connect power generators to it, same way like another rooms works.

I thing now if I connect power lines to power connection first, I can make single power network (edit: not possible atm to connect generators to one net)

And one bug with generators. If i connect rooms to generator and delete it, I get many errors, so I must first delete power congestions first, then delete generator.

Last edited by Shania on Sat 12. Jan 2013, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2013, 16:57 

Your are exactly right - it would be much more intuitive to be able to connect generators to build a power grid. I didn´t think about that, because I still was so used to the way the game treated every generator as a completely seperate entity.
Thanks for that, I will work on that immediatly! I think I will keep the ability to build different grids (that you dont want to connect to other grids) by choosing "layers" (like photoshop layers)

PostPosted: Sat 12. Jan 2013, 18:24 

nice:)

PostPosted: Sun 13. Jan 2013, 16:49 

Ratakari wrote:
I think I will keep the ability to build different grids (that you dont want to connect to other grids) by choosing "layers" (like photoshop layers)

That's perfect, thanks

PostPosted: Tue 22. Jan 2013, 18:23 

First of all, great game, enjoy the ship editor and i think it´s a very nice idear and lookin forward to make my first crew training missions when it´s implemented.

But i wanted to drop my another 2 cents to the idear. How about you make a primary powerline and a primary cooling line. Like you got it in sci-fi series or novels. Call it what you want, the mainenergy grid, main eps conduit, primary powerline etc... and the same for the cooling system, like primary cooling grid or so.

The power and cooling lines are a pretty awsome idear but at the moment its a real pain to design ships in a way where you need to connect each single generator to certain systems and to do the same with the cooling lines. And from a engeneering aspect it´s logical to create a main powerline from where all secondary powerlines spread out to the systems in the ship. It gives a ship also a very tricky weak point. Land a hit at the main powerline and then prey that the designer thought about to create a backup grid that can handle at least minimum shipfunctions. ;)

PostPosted: Fri 22. Feb 2013, 01:59 

I'm happy about this change, this too was something I was a little concerned about.

It made me start thinking about combat in the game, if redundant systems and pathways would be of use or not, or even the position of rooms/components. The discussed changes should help with both ease of design and with what I mentioned, if it's applicable. I hope so, I usually tend towards fewer more expensive things in the game, as opposed to numerous cheaper things. A Quality over Quantity type of deal. It would be nifty if, while making the ship more expensive, that extra systems and power pathways would provide more resilience to the vessel in case of damage.

PostPosted: Sat 18. May 2013, 01:42 

Hey here is an idea. Since the game dev is already working on having access conduits to add to the ship, why not integrate the power distribution system and the cooling lines into the access tunnel network. One main trunk line that you can tie everything into. Tada!