Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 20:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gaps between rooms
PostPosted: Sun 19. May 2013, 02:36 

I was wondering why rooms are not allowed to touch each other in ship design? If its within the capabilities of the software used in the creation of this game I'd suggest eliminating this from the game. Personally I view it as an incredible waste of space. I suppose the only reason that I can think of is to allow room to place hatches but couldn't you simply let the rooms touch anyway? If you want to place a hatch between two rooms then leave a gap but if you don't need a hatch then I think you should have the option to save space. Just a thought and thanks for working so hard on what looks to be my dream game. :D

Post subject: Re: Gaps between rooms
PostPosted: Sun 19. May 2013, 07:45 

The reason being is that then people could just clutter up the entire ship without putting thought into other than "Should i just put weapons this time or boarding?" It's so you can't just fill the entire ship with everything. You actually have to think and decide the outcomes with the gaps.

"I'm watching you punk"
"Really? I'm watching me too sir!"

PostPosted: Sun 19. May 2013, 08:11 

I agree and disagree with thin post. I think that rooms shoul not be placed together. Unless! They are of the same type.
Why wouldn't you be able to place 10 water tanks together. You would in real life. You just wouldn't spectate them into different ones. Also cargo bays should defo e able to be places together. In what film game etc have you eve seen a small cargo bay with ok next door with a wall wen you can place ten together a get a huge one! :)
In the flip side I agree that computer cares and missile rooms should not be next to bridges and he commanders quarters lol
just my thoughts

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Fri 24. May 2013, 21:03 

Perhaps the real question is do you want that so badly in the game that you would have the developer push back the release date and the next version to satisfy this request? The current version of the game is why we are here, it's fun and challenging. There is a saying: "Don't fix what is not broke." I feel that is applies in this matter.

-Pustka

PostPosted: Wed 5. Jun 2013, 07:15 

to be fair, I think there is a more "logical" reason for the gap in rooms. what i'm talking about here is walls, no i'm not joking, just think about it for a second: if you look at hatches they themselves only take up one square in width; now I don't know what the "realistic" dimensions would be from this game's standard but from what I've seen that width is roughly equal to the width of a soldier, maybe a bit more. So, knowing this we can assume the hatches have a thickness roughly analogous to real doors in our actual lives.

you're probably asking "well what does that have to do with it?" well it's simple: think of the real walls comprising the walls of your house, they may seem pretty thin but have you ever looked behind them? there is a lot of stuff packed between those two sheets of drywall; wires, pipes, insulation, junction boxes, etc. if this is how the walls look in your real home just imagine what they would need to do in a space ship, it wouldn't JUST be insulation and such. since we're talking about an actual vehicle here and not a static building there would have to be a lot more, heavy duty circuitry, structural reinforcement for outer areas... it's very reasonable to suggest that walls on a space ship would have to be considerably thick to just be called "safe" much less spaceworthy.

besides, if all other forms of immersion fail to convince you then just think of it as a design challenge, nothing is more frustrating as being one square short of the perfect layout, and nothing more rewarding as overcoming such an obstacle.