Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 10:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 2. Jan 2014, 17:18 

So while designing a police cruiser a few things crossed my mind:

1. 300k for a power switch? WTF? This is ridiculous both from a gameplay and a "lore" view. Lore: Why would a simple power switch cost nearly as much as a full generator?! Gameplay: This thing already is an additional part to squeeze in, no need to make it also expensive.

2. The different powergrids and the switch aren't very useful at all. This was very obvious while designing my police ship: I was short of power so I wanted to opt-in the cannon and its cooling via a switch, the same wih the landing gear. The cannon was on the upper deck, landing gear and ALL generators at the lower deck. These were the (imo unnecessary) problems:

2.1 There is no way to implement switched landing gear without wasting a whole generator: Because four rooms are one in each corner of the ship, the power lines have to cross at least one other line. Therefore I have to use twi different gridlevels. But this also means, I can't use the generator I assign the powerswitch to for anything else. Possible solutions:
a) Make me chose another level for the exit of the powerswitch as the entrance it.
b) Have multiple output levels on the generators (e.g. one connection per level)
c) Make it possible to change the level of a line somewhere inbetween.

2.2 Because the cannon was on another deck, I had to build two power connections (one for the cooling and one for the rest) or build a power switch on the upper deck (then having two differnt power switches for cannon and landing gear for 300k each). Solutions:
a) Make the power connection an "all grid room", meaning what goes in as grid 1 leaves as grid 1, what goes in as grid 2 leaves as grid 2, etc.
b) Make power switches cost- and space-efficient.

3. For even enhanced management the possibilty to write small scripts woult be useful. An example:
An room similar to the power switch with one or two triggerable buttons. With these buttons I can switch between different "modes", e.g. combat mode (cannon activated, all unimportant rooms deactivated), normal mode (cannon, landing gear, exit hatch deactivated) and docking mode (canon off, landing gear, exit hatch on)

PostPosted: Fri 3. Jan 2014, 00:39 

The lack of control that players have over assignment of power to rooms is game breaking in some instances. If your ship design requires more power than is generated, (e.g. has backup rooms/weapons), core modules can fail on mission start. This makes missions impossible to begin without altering the ship design. This can involve just deleting and re-adding rooms until the game's internal ordering of room powering is altered sufficiently, in order to cause core modules to receive power within the amount generated. It's currently impossible to even specify certain rooms to be switched off by default.

PostPosted: Fri 3. Jan 2014, 07:46 

Well this sits in this topic I think.

Just a thought. When have you seen a power switch that god damn big?

I hunk it needs to be smaller. If power transfer is 2x2 the. Switch should be

Anyone agree ?

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Fri 10. Jan 2014, 20:44 

You could place a gen for the landing gears at next level, and place some cheap power connections that goes down... ;) hrmm.

Having the same problems, or well, the main problem is that the grids are very separated.
About the switches, I like them but as for now I prefer just using the red button for each room.

Correct me if im wrong.
-As it is now: You could i.e have one generator and 5 grids (exactly the same) connected to it, but only use one at a time.
But if one grid goes down you can not just switch to the second (or third whatever)

You can have one generator and 5 grids all having number 1, but you must build the grids separate.
And if the gen goes boom so does the entire grid. But if one far end on your grid gets smashed up, the rest will work

If you (could) have more generators in the scenario described, it would really make it foolproof.
2 gens connected make it a bit overpowered, 5 grids 1-5... just imagine.

The idea of a grid room, can be compared to the function of a PSU in a machine/computer.
i.e 220-400V in. out 9V DC and 90-240V AC. I like it, just draw the lines of chosen grid from the room.
Can a gen room have dual function?

I made a little list with my thoughts on power functions when ship is "live", that will help with the construction of a grid system from the beginning.
Help me elaborate this.

1. Normal operation (in flight)
- Turn off all things not used
Example: Landing gear, cargo rooms and cargo hatches, shields.

2. Emergency
Example: Deactivate some fuel tanks, shields on.

3. Evacuation
- Power is only needed for doors and corridors !?