Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 12:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Combat radar
PostPosted: Fri 6. Jun 2014, 09:33 

I posted this as a video comment and I thought it would go better in the idea forum.

So I was watching the ship battle video and I thought it would be nice to have a ennemy signature info while in combat (radar?).

It would show :
- if it's loosing bits of oxygen or other gaz (fuel, water)
- if its EM signature is lower (thus maybe a power core was damage)
- if its Heat signature is rising (heat ventilation damage) or lowering (-heat producing system destroy)
- if its mass is changing (armor or room critically destroyed)
- if its speed/maneuveurability is changing (engine destroyed)
- if life signs are lowering on board (guys dying)

Thanks!

Edit : grammar
Edit 2 : remove some useless thing I said

Post subject: Re: Combat radar
PostPosted: Sun 8. Jun 2014, 22:28 

Agreed. If the implementation of enemy ships must be kept at an abstract level, having visual abstract indicators of enemy ship status would be useful to players. The extent of such implementation is quite variable. It could extend simply to fake systems damage information, that abstractly represents damage to the enemy from a percentage of total health. Alternatively, it could extend all the way to enemy crew count (for boarding actions), targetting weapons towards specific enemy ship systems, and changing enemy behaviour based on damage sustained.

Personally, I'd like to see useful abstract information about the status of an enemy ship, (to the fullest extent described above), that follows a set of rules that directly relate to the ship design of that ship. What specific information the player would be shown about the enemy ship would depend on the presence and active status of a "Sensor Room" or equivalent.

Moving on...

Will/Should the game support battles with/against more than two ships? How would this affect the feasibility of abstract ship combat? A radar or target list would enable target selection. But implemented abstractly, this would make the individual locations of enemy/friendly ships very important, since their movement behaviour would be trackable and strange movement/not following rules would be clear to the player.