Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Wed 8. May 2024, 03:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Some ideas
PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 10:27 

Hey, I studied screenshots and game information to yesterday late night and I have it some ideas to your game concept.

1, Fleets
On your mission can you go with one big ship, but you can do it with more smaller ships in fleet also. For piracy, stealth, thievery mission is better use fleet with small ships then use bigger ships. This is idea opens more options how to play and make this game a little more complex. Fleets will be unlock in middle game.

2, Mining
I see we can trade missions, but I don't see anywhere mining or source gathering mission or room for that. I think some player do some this type of missions, you need workers, heavy machinery, droids, drills or mining lasers.

3, Science / Exploration
Space is full of mysterious things, anomalies and places about we must explore and study to understood it (biological, physics and etc.). Will be nice more rooms and support for this mission type. Here is more place for tech trees where can develop some new version of rooms with small improvements for your ship.

4, Travel / Colonization
Ship don't must carry only cargo, you can transport passengers or colonists to another word. Space taxi incoming ...

5, Droids / Robots / AI
In the many sci-fi movies and games are droids or robots witch supstitude crew in in work or dangerous situation and I think will be nice here too. Droids are in some task more effective then people, but don't get experience and they are expensive.

Rooms
Communication centre - Ship will be able to communicate with inner fleet ships and ships, bases and colonies at specific range.
Long range scanners - Ship will be to warn when another ship or any bigger object at specific range.
Short range scanners - Ship will be to warn when another ship or any bigger object and get detailed information about ship or object at specific range.
Mining laser - Ship will be able to mine of ore or another resources.
Drill - Ship will be able to mine of ore or another resources.
Corridors for machinery - Mode corridors, where can by use machinery for transport cargo with bigger width.
Hitch - Ship will be able to drag some object (small or big) in free space and move it to hangar or travel with it.
Engineer deck - Place where can be to repair damaged machinery or droids.
Passenger cabin - Ship will be able to carry passengers, this room can be in many levels of luxury for specific clients.
Laboratory - Place where can be to study biological entities or do biologic experiments.
Space laboratory - Place where can be to study space and physics experiments.

Crew
Workers - Man for manipulate with heavy machinery.
Scientist - Man for develop new technology or analysis space anomalies.
Infiltrator - Man for hacking and manipulating enemies droids, robots and AI.

Stay tuned, I will post some more my ideas little later ... :)

Post subject: Re: Some ideas
PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 12:21 

These are very cool :D

It made me think of something: Will it be possible to create ships entirely for 'civilian' use? So that their 'tests' will be more about surviving malfunctions or collisions than military applications? Because I think it'd be cool to sort of start out as a corporation that builds civilian ships, shuttles, freighters and what not, then expand into military applications as your capital grows.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 13:29 

great ideas, and compatible with future expansion plans!

I really like the exploration possibilty a lot, and of course there will be many civilian purpose ships (from a simple cargo ship to a luxury liner), I put more emphasizes on military vessels in the presentation, because I thought people where looking forward to this more. But the great thing about this game will be, that you can do both!

I am really turned on by imagining do build a huge cruiseship, with passenger cabins (various classes), restaurants, leisure areas, zero gravity swimming pools, etc. - selling it to the "White Star Line", and then boarding and clearing it deck for deck, because it got infected with alien organisms. oooohhh!

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:48 

Ratakari wrote:
I am really turned on by imagining do build a huge cruiseship, with passenger cabins (various classes), restaurants, leisure areas, zero gravity swimming pools, etc. - selling it to the "White Star Line", and then boarding and clearing it deck for deck, because it got infected with alien organisms. oooohhh!

Best. Titanic remake. EVER.

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 16:51 

Chaospockets109 wrote:
Ratakari wrote:

Best. Titanic remake. EVER.

Give this Man a Medal!

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 17:58 

I must agree :lol:

How you plan with gravity on ships? I don't see any gravity generators. And there is ideas on some more rooms in for ships.
  • Gravity generator
  • Prison cabin
  • Biodome
  • Minerals scanner
  • Anomaly scanner
  • Computer databank
  • Playground, Social room (some entertainment for crew)

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 19:08 

Gravity:
I was planning, that the player can turn off light, air, and gravity in individual rooms to make it really difficult for the boarding party (slowing down their movement and subverting their morale), or to "smoke out" the last resistance, who barricaded themselves in the bridge (if you have taken control of the ship´s systems).
I haven´t thought of externalizing gravity into generators - it could work, but shouldn´t the gravity generators be rather below the rooms?

Biodome:
Definitly! I have some vague memories of quite bad sci-fi movie, where almost the whole ship was filled with gardens and forests. The main character hated that the rest of the crew didn´t respect the plants and killed them all for ruining his garden :D
I like the vision of plants in space, its somehow weird and cool at the same time. Another great Biodome scene is I think in "The Black Hole".

Playground, Kindergarden, Nursery and any kind of entertainment facilitie would be great for a colony ship (a generation ship : "don´t waste time lying around in hypersleep capsules, breed!")

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 19:26 

Btw Ratakari: How do you imagine "Hypersleep"?

People still need to eat (okay if the capsules have automatically nutrition injectiors it'll be no problem) and maintain the ship.
Or will the ships have robots which keep maintenance of the ship running?

PostPosted: Wed 8. Aug 2012, 20:25 

Well I guess Hypersleep could work through cryogenics (freezing and reanimating a human) because then no nutritions would be required and the frozen people would not age and I don't think gravity generators would need to be placed under a room but that depends entirely on how you imagine it would work.

And plants in space just make sense, a green environment keeps the moral of a ships crew high, delivers air and supplies food ^^

Btw. how fast is FTL in Starship Corporation, because if its relatively fast then a generation ship wouldn't make sense (no need to breed on board a ship if you reach your destination within a week or even a year)

PostPosted: Thu 9. Aug 2012, 01:18 

Han.Rastax mentioned prison cabins... My thoughts go to Mount and blade (I know it isn't sci-fi but I think it still applies...) where when an enemy finally surrenders, morale too low, food runs out, or lack of loyalty, or whatever, what will you do with the crew? (Is there going to even be a surrender option?) so you could put them in prison, and you can treat them nice and feed them well, maybe even they'll join you. (Maybe with a slight raise in the chance of mutiny. but they would replace those lost in the battle...) Or maybe they could be P.O.W.'s and so get a little mission score boost. It could even be a mission to capture a crew alive instead of slaughtering them all. Just throwing this out there. :D