Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Fri 29. Mar 2024, 02:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 6. Oct 2012, 12:05 

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days and some of the ideas have come up in other suggestions but this post will explain which crew members would be critical and some new rooms for a starship to include. Instead of breaking these down into Crew and then the rooms I will break this down into the specialities.

Security

Security Hatch.
Unifyzero came up with this but I have also been thinking about it for a few days. I believe it should be set so only techs could go through it to protect the engine room or Security could only go through it to get to the next area I shall talk about. Could potentially order military to guard this for extra protection.

Brig
The brig will either contain prisoners from a boarding party or mutineers.

Crewmember - Master-At-Arms
Is in charge of all military and security personnel on board a ship. Isn't required to have on a ship but if you don't have one you are not able to have a brig or armory. In Real Naval warfare the Master-At-Arms is always a NCO normally Sergeant and would have command of everyone below his/her rank.

Armory
These can be placed everywhere throughout the ship. Upon a Red Alert, the Master-At-Arms remotely unlocks all armories from their office. This permits all personnel ,bar military as they are already armed, to receive a side arm (pistol , shotgun or rifle dependent upon rank). I would suggest that these would also be able to assign military personnel to guard this room as if someone mutinies gaining control of this room would be fatal.

Crewmember - Officer of the Deck (OOD)
The OOD's are the second highest ranking officers on the ship below the captain. Potentially you would have 4 of them so there is always 1 on the bridge. These personnel would always carry a pistol to protect the bridge in case of mutiny. I believe these should be assigned by the player because if one of these mutinies they could persuade a lot of the other crew and they are already armed. On the player's head be it.

Tech Facilities

Airlock and pressure suits
For repair of hull breaches from the outside if required. Also good for getting rid of unwanted prisoners/captains. :)

Access hatches
Crawl spaces and ladders between floor in case the lift has failed or the starcase has been damaged or captured.

Firefighting Equipment
Includes a room with heatproof suits and fire extinguishers. Also can place hose reals on the walls of corridoors. Room also contains 2 switches sprinklers to quench the fire with water and if that doesn't work the other switches locks all access to other floors then vents the floors oxygen. Will kill all the crew but may save the ship.

Crewmember -Chief Engineer
More experienced in firefighting and repairs. Rank that would fit best is Chief Petty Officer.

Piloting

Crewmember - Captain
Has command of the ship and is the only one who can make the executive decisions that risk lives. i.e. Use of nuclear weapons, authorisation to vent a floors oxygen, self destruct.

Medical

Operating Room
If surgery is needed for any crew it can be done here.

Pharmacy
Drugs and medical equipment for use can be stored here.

Crewmember - Chief Medical Officer
Best Medic on board if killed healthcare would be significantly worse.

Ward and Crewmember - Nurses
Not all of the casualties we be ready and on their feet again and will need nurses to take care of them.

Morgue
Don't think this one needs explaining.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions of what should be added to this list respond in this thread and I shall add them. Also if a dev or mod confirms any of them I shall record that.