Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 18:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 02:10 

Hello,

I got a few suggestion in here, all related to individual characters.

Have you ever travel in your life ? If so, you will notice sometime (especially during your first long travel ) that you get homesick, other times, you will catch a foreign disease, foreign virus (Tropical Fever), other time you will feel so lonely ( even though there is a lot of people around you ) that you will start getting Irritated/ stressed or even go Mad.

Where am I coming with this ? I would like if every character have a specific background. ( I am willing to invest my time to create background and to help in this )
I would also like to see some of the characters knowing each other, some not. As pilots all had to go to pilot training / school / academy, some of them must know each other, So basically if you purchased 20 pilots, 12 of them went to the same Academy, 6 of them are acquaintance and 2 of them are friends.
What would this do ? It would mean that in your 20 pilots, 6 of them are less prone to get homesick, stressed or to go Mad, and 2 of them are never going to contract these as long as they are both alive ( if one die's, the moral of his friend would drop )

Detailed Exemple of a few pilots you would buy:

Let say you start your game, your in the year : 3032
here is the list of the character you purchased, viewing the list would be optional I guess, its there kinda just to put a greater immersion into your game and to detect who is more prone to go crazy :P

Character Background

Keano Bash
Born: 14/12/3010
Race: Caucasian
Home: Canada
Education : Hewitt High-School (graduated in 3026)/ Stranford Pilot Academy ( Gr. 3029)/ Stranford Pilot Course (Gr. 3030)
Experience/Past Jobs : none
Medical : None

Jaerson Wolsa
Born: 23/10/3010
Race: African-Canadian
Home: Canada
Education: Hewitt H-S (Gr. 3026) /Stranford Pilot Academy ( Gr. 3029)/ Stranford Pilot Course (Gr. 3031)
Experience/Past Jobs: None
Medical :None

Harbro Bilaf
Born : 06/07/2098
Race: African-American
Home: America
Education: George Orwell High (Gr. 3015) / Nutella Pilot Academy ( Gr. 3017)/Neil Armstrong Pioneer Pilot Course ( Gr. 3017 )
Experience: Orwell Foundation Pilot (18-24) / Coliflow Express ( 24-28) / Military Vessel 001010013; Codename: Veronica ( 29-31)
Reason for leaving previous job : Got severely wounded.
Medical : Pilot Bilaf has suffered a crush leg on his last mission, military contractor has paid him a cybernetic leg. He has been at rest for the past year. He suffers from mild Depression.

Gorjo Hilton

Born: 21/03/00
Race: East-Asian
Home: America
Education: Bouthillier High (Gr.3018) / P.B and Jay Pilot Academy (Gr. 3021) / Neil Armstrong Pioneer Pilot Course (Gr.3021)
Experience: Bouthillier Transportation (21-31)
Reason For leaving previous job : Boredom
Medical : None

____________________________________-

This would mean :

Bash and Wolsa would be friends. They have no experience ( so their skill could be lower If there is skill implemented in the game ) meaning they are more prone to homesickness, but less prone to being Mad or stressed since they are friends.

Bilaf and Hilton could be Acquaintance. They have lots of experience, ( more skill if implemented ) and they are not going to contract Homesickness, but they are prone to getting Mad due to their medical/R.o.L stats ( Mild depression can lead to serious Madness, and Boredom can lead to severe depression if that person is still bored on his new job ) Notice that there is a lot of different High School. there is less Academy, and there is even less Pilot Course buildings. Per exemple, there could be 2 Pilot course in America, 1 in Canada, 4 in Europe, etc. There could be 4 Academy in Canada, 7 in America, 12 in Europe. and there could be an unlimited ammount of High School.

Meaning that every characters as a different chance of knowing each other, depending on where they live. pilots from the same group age of Canada has almost 90% chance of knowing each other. To simplified the group ages, you could impose a age limit on pilots ( we dont want 50 yrs old pilots, we dont want 17 yrs old pilots either ) A good group age could be, pilots have to be between 20 and 40 year old.

These are only exemple of what we could be working on. and I only bothered to plan for pilots. If this get approved I am willing to work hard on this. with the help of a few crew would be nicer. also a office to work this would be nice ( meaning, a place with a password on the forum for the people included in the Character Background project )

Mental State

Lets take exemple on : Gorjo Hilton Character

Mental state could develop during missions. A character that join a military vessel because he was bored in his old job ( Reason to leave previous job : Boredom ). would be really disappointed if he didnt see any action, for a while:

Realization Of Boredom -leading to- Search for change - Leading to- Desperation - Leading to A) Stupidity B) Depression
A) Stupidity : - Leading to- Craziness - Leading to- Pandorum Syndrom
B) Depression: - Leading to- Denial and Isolation - Leading to- Anger -Leading to - Bargaining - Leading to- Acceptance

Here is the details :

Search For change : The character would often be somewhere else then where he should be ( Character walking on his own to random places ) yo could click on him and get him back to duty at will
Desperation : The character MAY refuse to go back to work after you caugh him walking at random places ( 70% chances )
Stupidity : The character could try everything to get less bored, leading in doing stupid stuff such as : Dangerous maneuvering of the ship ( leading to random ship damage) or to get other crew hurt by accident ( random Injured Crew )
Craziness: : The character could end up locking random doors and elevators, turning off air ventilation, shooting his guns: injuring/killing crew, etc
Pandorum Syndrom : The character could create a plan in his mind to destroy the ship, killing all crew, Suiciding, Plotting against others and bringing weak minded crew to his cause, etc
Depression : The character could refuse to do anything but staying in bed in the medical sector
Denial and Isolation : The character would ignore the Medical Crew and isolate himself in his living quarters
Anger : The character would Scream at people, and being angry, leading to a drop of moral within the people close to him ( or within all crew members )
Bargaining : The character would start evaluating his role on the ship and what could have happend or what not. ( he will start piloting, or going to the seeking help (aka: going to medical crew )
Acceptance : The character would go back to normal.

I guess, this kind of character development could be created with the same tool they use in the Alpha game : Project Zomboid ( Were your character get depress, bored, crazy, insomniac, etc etc ) I strongly suggest everyone go take a look at Project Zomboid ( free alpha demo) and to check how the character mental state develop, this is more or less what im talking about.

To the developer : : If interested in my idea please let me know so we can start working on it.

Last edited by Neogodhobo on Tue 2. Oct 2012, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 03:55 

I like this idea very much but would the mental states you listed be the only mental states?

"I'm watching you punk"
"Really? I'm watching me too sir!"

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 05:50 

No, these are just exemples to explain what I had in mind. If I get the okay for this, I would actually have to do a lot of research ( on Human mental disease ) and try to pinpoint and invent some based on what I learned.

It would be preferable to have a little group of people working on this to share idea and opinion.
It would be a work in progress.

As I said,m this is only what I had in mind when I wrote it. It would take more brainstorm to conclude on specific disease/mental state.

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 05:53 

Well thank you for fully explaining the reason's why and how you would implement this! im saying this because you are very organised while other on different forums(so far no one on this forum has done this yet THANK GOD)) would just say something along the lines of "OMG YOU SHULD PUT THIS N BECAUSE IT WOULD BE SUP3R L337!"

"I'm watching you punk"

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 06:04 

Haha, yeah no problem.

This game look like it would be an awesome one. I never seen something like this before and the Developer like all the same movies as I do ( and many others do ). So I know where he his coming from in other words ( I realize we were on the same line after watching his video on Steam Greenlit ( thats where I learn about this game )

I hope he takes a look at it and authorize me to look for a few person so we could create a Character; Background and Mental State group.
Im good at producing idea's but the opinion and help of others would be greatly appreciated ;-)

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 06:08 

He is recruiting people to help create his game just send him a PM saying "my name is_____ and i'm good at______" he is using game maker to create this game so if you know how to program with java C++, or anything related you can help. You can't start helping him halfheartedly though because he needs people who don't quit halfway through making the game.

"I'm watching you punk"

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 06:14 

Alright il send him a mail.

The problem is I dont know much about creating video games in itself, I created maps for games before but thats about it. ( Men of war:Assault Squad )
Also I might be leaving and be stuck without electricity for a few months in the near future. But if I have a team with me they can keep on working on it while im absent, il just appoint a Team Leader and il give them a full paper on the objective to accomplish.

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 06:16 

Well it is good that you can create maps because that means you can help with most of the galaxy map and mapping it out. So that means you will be very important for the game. That is if you decide to join^^

"I'm watching you punk"

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 06:36 

I will try, I am writting an email to the Developer as we speak :)

PostPosted: Tue 2. Oct 2012, 10:27 

I like parts of this idea except I don't think any or at least very few pilots should be from Earth but instead from Humanity's colonies. One main reason for this but with 2 differences:

Scientists and historians (including myself) believe most of these will happen, either:

1) Countries will have tumbled apart and fallen into 3 super-powers based on the feeling to one another. The Americas will have formed a super-power most likely by them selves with the exception of the British and ANZAC forces which would probably side with them. China and Russia along with the rest of Asia would band against them. Lastly the rest of Europe and Africa would band into the last one. Not really wanting to fight but more like being caught between a rock and a hard place. If this were to become true the amount of fighting would render it near impossible to get spacecraft out of the atmosphere.

2) The second opinion of scientists and historians is if we haven't segregated into 3 super-powers to kill each other, Earth will have horrendous overcrowding leading to immense poverty. You may think this is far fetched but at current the population of the world is 7 billion. On current trends we are going to be at 11 billion between 2040 and 2050. Even though all of the planets 7 billion people could fit into the area of greater London if standing next to each other, that density would kill us, so spreading out is the only option.

These would mean that most people would be more likely to come from colonies maybe Ceres, Phobos or Mars. (Do I hear moonbase? :D )

Even if you don't agree with either of these hypothesis' the world will look very different by the 31st century. This maybe something for a different thread but global sea levels could have rised by up to 6.8m by then so if the earth was designed to be featured in the game, large amounts of the world would be underwater including but not limited to; Large amounts of Indonesia and Hawaii, Bangladesh, Florida, Louisiana, Belgium and the Netherlands and the low lying parts of the UK. London will have been destroyed. Other capital cities should be mostly OK.

I hope you enjoyed this morbid look at the future. I shall be back tomorrow to depress you some more ;)

S.O.A.P.