Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 06:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 8. Jun 2013, 03:59 

unifyzero wrote:
As for having everyone on the ship armed. I doubt that many people on a ship (the technicians themselves included) would want everyone to be walking around armed. Trying to perform maintenance in cramped spaces would be a pain, if not impossible if you were armed (leading to technicians taking their armament off and leaving it lying around). While I understand the game is not a reflection of the real world, this is not a real world practice for civilian or military ships (at least not the vast majority). Also, just going off of memory here, but I don't think all crew members are armed in most of the great SciFi media (Star Wars, Star Trek, Fire Fly/Serenity, etc.)

to be fair, I never said everyone should HAVE to walk around armed (though I would want them to on MY ships XD) but that they can BECOME armed, to defends themselves in an emergency, I also said that it would only make sense that if a non-combatant armed themselves that they would not be able to preform their normal task (maintenance, healing, piloting, etc.) to balance out this mechanic.

Now, i'm no trekki, but I remember watching a number of episodes where the ship (enterprise, voyager, whatever) was boarded/attacked and a few crewman who did not seem to be security personnel pulled out guns and tried to defend themselves, though again I am no trekki so I admit my memory may be lacking ._." though I specifically remember the first few halo games showing non-military crew attempting/failing to defend themselves against the convenant, though to be fair these crew members did not walk around all the time with guns, but they most certainly wielded them.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Jun 2013, 13:13 

Aestuo wrote:
unifyzero wrote:
As for having everyone on the ship armed. I doubt that many people on a ship (the technicians themselves included) would want everyone to be walking around armed. Trying to perform maintenance in cramped spaces would be a pain, if not impossible if you were armed (leading to technicians taking their armament off and leaving it lying around). While I understand the game is not a reflection of the real world, this is not a real world practice for civilian or military ships (at least not the vast majority). Also, just going off of memory here, but I don't think all crew members are armed in most of the great SciFi media (Star Wars, Star Trek, Fire Fly/Serenity, etc.)

to be fair, I never said everyone should HAVE to walk around armed (though I would want them to on MY ships XD) but that they can BECOME armed, to defends themselves in an emergency, I also said that it would only make sense that if a non-combatant armed themselves that they would not be able to preform their normal task (maintenance, healing, piloting, etc.) to balance out this mechanic.

Now, i'm no trekki, but I remember watching a number of episodes where the ship (enterprise, voyager, whatever) was boarded/attacked and a few crewman who did not seem to be security personnel pulled out guns and tried to defend themselves, though again I am no trekki so I admit my memory may be lacking ._." though I specifically remember the first few halo games showing non-military crew attempting/failing to defend themselves against the convenant, though to be fair these crew members did not walk around all the time with guns, but they most certainly wielded them.

Startrek writers have no clue how real ships/crew works and its not good idea build crew management around this universe.

PostPosted: Wed 12. Jun 2013, 19:04 

but then you ignore my comment on the halo universe... cherry picking much? that's why you have to use multiple examples when making a point, besides, I never said star trek was the best example, just one.

besides, something like this may be necessary in the future (non-military crew members arming themselves) as I remember reading somewhere in the suggestions that tech and medical crew should be able to join boarding parties to cut welded doors (tech) and heal wounded (med). an idea I agreed with, it only makes sense to send them over armed and if they could wield weapons on another persons ship to attack, why not your own to defend?

thirdly, I've already suggested that if this idea were picked up that any non-military armed crew could NOT preform their primary duties if they wielded weapons to make it more balanced, it sounds pretty fair to me, one pro and one con, an equivalent exchange.

PostPosted: Thu 13. Jun 2013, 02:38 

Aestuo wrote:

I wasn't commenting on any one specific statement, it just seemed to be the direction that the conversation was going. I can't argue with that idea. In a SHTF scenario, I agree that pretty well everyone than can arm themselves would. Also, I 'd like to point out the portion of your comment I put in bold. Halo, Star Trek, Fire Fly, etc. are all great to draw inspiration from, but this is a whole new universe with a whole new plot. If you want to arm all of your crew members, why not!... You know, unless it doesn't get added into the game...

PostPosted: Thu 13. Jun 2013, 04:03 

unify makes a good point, we can argue all we want but it's really up to ratakari and his vision to make the final choice, frankly, I could care less if the combat doesn't even get all that complex, these are just things id's like to see, worst case I can man up, learn to utilize GML and MAKE it possible XD

PostPosted: Thu 13. Jun 2013, 09:10 

And what about make something like this:

at normal condition, only marines are armed with sidearms, all crew member wear only uniforms, not skin suits but if player choose, he can arm everyone with any light weapon (pistols, rifles) ad equip skin suits (light protection against fire, crew can survive in vacuum, suit can stop bleeding and distribute stims, hard suits are only for marines).

All equipment have penalties, slow movement, lover collectivity and crew loosing morale, if they are all day in skin suits.

So at normal condition, player want keep effectiveness a morale of crew at maximum, thats mean minimum protection for them. When ships enter any danger, like mayor failure or meteor swarm its good idea equip skin suits, and if crew face enemies, equip weapons.

I think Ratakari have inventory functions already in place, but i thing, this should be as simple as possible, pres button and crew automatically head to nearest armory, locker.
Some rooms like engine room, power plants, fuel tanks, hangars, ... should have lockers with skin suits, so crew don't need run too far.

And if unit wear weapon or skin suit, icon of this unit should be different.

PostPosted: Sat 15. Jun 2013, 20:54 

Its agood idea but i rather like Crew specialization (like in star trek)

But i agree Honoverse is good

"Hätte,Hätte Fahrradkette" Peerbär

Wich***r, A***hloch, Hure***oh, dein Mutter hat ich schon. Weiser Mann