Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024, 14:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 00:30 

Warning: my English is not good and this article is long, so expect many errors, but still, I think its readable (I hope).

I am proposing another structure, this is sort of based on Honorverse universe (its heavily based on real NAVY) I highly recommended to read this series, you find lots of ides for this game.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorverse

I made this system more complex that need, to show another ideas and directions.
This system can be more light weight.

Primary idea is having commanding structure more realistic, simpler to use and have greater depth, possibly experience system for crew.

All unit are still best in some areas, but can also do another jobs, but at lover efficiency. This can allow do more stuff with crew management, combat system and have more options when building ships.

Now we have this crew types:
1. Military – defending/assault/firecontrol
2. Pilots - piloting
3. Engineers – repairs, engineering, exhaust fires
4. Androids
5. And maybe officers/captain
6. Medics – healing, life-support

New system is more similar to FTL (racials and leveling), but little more complex.

First, all units can do everything, but have different level of efficiency.
This also allows add RPG/experience system to units in future.
Units are trained in these skills: piloting, fire control, engineering, repair, extinguish fires, combat, healing, leadership.

Piloting: this skill improves travel times; dodge in ship to ship combat, fuel consumption, detection range. Ship C - core can be set on autopilot, but FTL coordinates must be set manually by crew members (crew efficiency lovers travel time between systems)
Units efficiency: CO, officers, another types are not recommended, but in emergency situations can sort of take ship home in one piece.

If we have fighters, shuttles, only officers, CO can fly them in combat situations, on emergency situations (evac): noncoms (low skill) and marines (very low)

Fire control: now we have cannons and missiles, we also need point defense (short range anti-missile) and counter missile (medium range anti-missile).
All ship weapons can be fired directly from bridge, but system greatly increase in efficiency, if fire control or weapons are manned (rate of fire/hit)
Unit efficiency: CO, officers, noncoms, marines

Engineering: increase efficiency of systems like engines, life support, shields, hangars (launch times for fighters, rearming, refueling), manned stations have much lover percentage of failures.
Unit efficiency: CO, officers, noncoms, marines

Repairs: lower times for repairs.
dirty work for noncoms and marines (much lover efficiency than noncom), officers don’t like this job, but they can do it.

Extinguish fires: this skill decrease extinguish times, injuries and deaths from accidents. Noncoms and marines are very good at this job, but all crew members can do that at average skill.

Combat: skill + weapon + armor type
Marines are far superior to any one else in all areas (access to better weapons, armor and superior skill) and I hope we also get some armored suits for them.
Officers/CO carry sidearm, but overall efficiency is low. Noncoms need armory to use weapons, they have average skill and can defend ship in some situations (pirates)

Healing: all units slowly regenerate, if they have more than 80% hp, unit under this value is injured and need first aid (all unit can do it on another unit, take some time) to stabilize and not losing more hp. Under 30% hp, unit can’t make any action and loosing hp (1%/1sec), medic can stabilize it and move it to sickbay.

Leadership: skill for CO and officers, increase range and quality bonus for these units in command mode. This boost don’t apply do medics.

Unit types:
1. Captain (can be merged with officers group and only have some perk or something)
2. Officers
3. Noncoms
4. Medics
5. Marines
6. Androids

Space is dangerous place and crew must be trained to do all sorts of thing in emergency situations.

Captain/XO/ or simply CO: buff unit, add efficiency to whole ship, if unit is on the bridge. If bigger ship haven't CO, all crew loosing efficiency (officers negating 50% of this debus, if one is one bridge).
This is most important and expensive unit, more experienced captain, then ship is more efficient, at last in navigation and combat. CO career starts as officer, so he can do all thing he does and better, if situation is dire (at expense of losing his command buff, this stop players using captain as pilot)

Officers: primary job: piloting ship, fire control, engineering add efficiency to another nearby crew if they are in command mode (not doing another job)

Noncoms: primary job: repairs, extinguish fires, engineering (not good as officers), have some combat capabilities for defending on civilian ships.

Medics: primary job: healing, maybe buff to morale, if ship have this type of unit. This is specialized unit and efficiency in other areas are very limited.

Marines: primary job: combat secondary job: repairs, extinguish fires, engineering
This unit can only be used on military class vessels, Marines are also can help with maintenance if there is no enemy on LIDAR. Raise morale in combat to the nearby crew.

Androids: jack of all trades can be used in dangerous environments without proper equipment, have high resistances to fire and high health. Very expensive unit. Aliens don't like them.

Command structure:

CO on bridge commanding whole ship, have great impact on morale and efficiency.
If bigger ship doesn't have CO on bridge, all crew have debuf to morale and efficiency.
Officer in commanding mode on bridge can partially negate this effect.

Officer can further boost effectiveness of units if he is Command mode (stay idle) near this units
This boost don't apply to another officer, so combination of officer + noncoms in engineering is better (and cheaper), than using only officers for some job.

Example:
Single officer have eng 80% and noncom 70%
Officer in commanding mode have 0% eng(range of this buff can be 1/3 of small ship hull), but give bonus to nearby crew 20% so noncom have 90% efficiency in engineering.

Commanding mode don't boost another officers (except fire control and piloting, so this stays officer primary job)

Androids need officer in commanding mode one bridge to work efficiently.

PostPosted: Fri 15. Feb 2013, 08:06 

I agree with some of this. But most of all the need for a captain.
The ship need a single captain on every ship and he should have his own quarters
He also has his own special position on the bridge. When he's there the ship runs more smoothly.
So far their is no single command like you would have on any ship.

Also with the marines posibly a marine captain as well

For medics a doctor. As in most situations they are officers in the military

And a 'SENGO' this is a British army term for senior engineering officer.

This I think would give the command structure needed

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Sat 16. Feb 2013, 05:22 

Hmm.... ive been thinking.
An upgrade of sort for non-military personell to be able to upgraded to military a sort of multifunctional role. I sort of think of it as medic in the military recieve basic rifleman training. Same as mechanics. I know balancing maybe a concern but make the unit necessarly a full combat function but at least a basic ability to handle a weapon.

PostPosted: Sat 16. Feb 2013, 07:44 

Creynolds wrote:
An upgrade of sort for non-military personell to be able to upgraded to military a sort of multifunctional role. I sort of think of it as medic in the military recieve basic rifleman training. Same as mechanics. I know balancing maybe a concern but make the unit necessarly a full combat function but at least a basic ability to handle a weapon.

On this the onl thing I would as is the fact that I a medic hold a rifle he no longer counts as a medic but a combatant.
Such that 90% ofthetime they are unarmed just because of rule of engagement.

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Sat 16. Feb 2013, 22:29 

elStrages wrote:
Creynolds wrote:
An upgrade of sort for non-military personell to be able to upgraded to military a sort of multifunctional role. I sort of think of it as medic in the military recieve basic rifleman training. Same as mechanics. I know balancing maybe a concern but make the unit not necessarly a full combat function but at least a basic ability to handle a weapon.

On this the onl thing I would as is the fact that I a medic hold a rifle he no longer counts as a medic but a combatant.
Such that 90% ofthetime they are unarmed just because of rule of engagement.

However were talking abut space. Rules of engagement is not listed under any U.N law. Unless somehow the game engine provides.

PostPosted: Sun 17. Feb 2013, 08:10 

I think we may be getting too political here lol

{ PooIsEaten = false; }

PostPosted: Mon 18. Feb 2013, 07:21 

two things:

one: politically speaking, rules of engagement are useless, at least in this world the game seems like it will be taking place in, when your main opponents are pirates, xenomorphs, and military groups run by rival corporations (i emphasis on corporations because a corporation will act drastically different from a government body) none of such enemies are gonna care how they destory your carefully designed ship and crew, and they will not care much more whether your technical and medical crew has weaponry or not, just more targets to them. in essence, a pirates or xenomorphes ROE is simply going to be "kill or be killed" so how would you want your men armed with that in mind?

two: non-politically speaking, it's just common sense for technical crew to be armed with at least the most basic of defence weaponry at all times i would think, at the very least on military ships if not on others. the last thing i want is my pilots or my medics being helplessly gunned down while my soldiers sprint to rescue them, so it makes sense that non-military personel should have some form of defensive measure, albiet weak, like the in-game equivalent of a pistol compared to a rifle. also, i agree that when non-military personel arm themselves they should lose thier ability to do thier normal tasks, only fair.

PostPosted: Thu 21. Feb 2013, 00:12 

Question: Would it be possible for crew to gain ranks?

Like from midshipman to able shipman, and so on?

PostPosted: Sun 24. Feb 2013, 18:45 

Rosso wrote:
Question: Would it be possible for crew to gain ranks?

Like from midshipman to able shipman, and so on?

Ability name the ranking system as well.

PostPosted: Fri 7. Jun 2013, 06:30 

Overall I think the idea is a little too complex (I see that you pointed out that possibility yourself!). I prefer what I've seen from the game so far. Hopefully units do level up and provide some sort of bonuses, but I think having specific types of units for specific jobs works better.

Shania wrote:
All ship weapons can be fired directly from bridge, but system greatly increase in efficiency, if fire control or weapons are manned (rate of fire/hit)

I don't agree with the bridge serving this function, but having a Combat Information Center (or similarly titled) room which allows all weapons to be fired is a good idea. Check out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=503, for a more in depth thought.

Shania wrote:
Healing: all units slowly regenerate, if they have more than 80% hp, unit under this value is injured and need first aid (all unit can do it on another unit, take some time) to stabilize and not losing more hp. Under 30% hp, unit can’t make any action and loosing hp (1%/1sec), medic can stabilize it and move it to sickbay.

Like it. Everyone on a ship (military at least), should have a rudimentary understanding of first aid.

As for having everyone on the ship armed. I doubt that many people on a ship (the technicians themselves included) would want everyone to be walking around armed. Trying to perform maintenance in cramped spaces would be a pain, if not impossible if you were armed (leading to technicians taking their armament off and leaving it lying around). While I understand the game is not a reflection of the real world, this is not a real world practice for civilian or military ships (at least not the vast majority). Also, just going off of memory here, but I don't think all crew members are armed in most of the great SciFi media (Star Wars, Star Trek, Fire Fly/Serenity, etc.)