Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Sat 27. Apr 2024, 10:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My suggestions (MISC)
PostPosted: Wed 22. Aug 2012, 14:22 

Here are some suggestions.

General ship desing suggestions:

Directly connectable rooms: From the videos I have understood that different rooms can only be attached to each other with doors. If rooms could be connected directly to each other it would have several benefits: you could for example just directly attach power relay to power generator room. This would save some precious money, space and energy a door would demand and it would make the maintainance more efficient (shorter trip between rooms and no door that you would have to breach trough if the relay was down or invaded by enemy), maybe a little maintainance boost could be added like "10% quicker maintainance for each room" because they share the life support systems, power cables are easier to access etc. Downsides of directly connecting rooms would be their increased exposure to risks like fires, hull breachess or enemy infiltration. Rooms could also be connectable with open corridors, this would be a compromise bethween saving some money and energy and slightly limiting the spreading of fire and movement of enemy teams.

More different sized and shaped rooms: These are propably already planned but here are my suggestions anyway. In the video I only saw one type of cargo units for example. I think this really limits the number of different working layouts for the ships (in that tutorial the forward section of the ship was pretty much the only place where the cargo unit would fit without pressing some vital systems to too dangerous places and/or not providing protections for them. for example I would like to build wide cargo units with side access points to the sides of the ship so that vital systems would be better protected from the sides, or maybe build smaller bays all around the ship to give general protections and to not lose all the cargo to one asteroid. This goes for pretty much all rooms in the game. Different sizes and shapes would not only give countless new sensible layout possibilities, but also increase the number of "economy vs safety" options: build one huge fuel/air/water tank and risk losing it in one blow, or build several small ones all over the ship to increase safety (but also price and need for maintainance).

Room suggestions:

Fortifield corridors: These would be corridors that have been designed to be easily defensible to one direction (bunker style structure at the other end and nasty stuff like barbed wire at the other). These could be used to protect vital areas of ship or prevent enemies from spreading out of the easy-to-infiltrate areas. Dowsides would be the increased cost of these corridors, and the possibility that enemy comes from the unexpected direction and uses the fortifications agains defenders.

Automated defence corridors: These would be corridors with automated defence turrets. They would be expensive and energy consuming, but also really efficient way to defend the ship. Real risk would be that the turrets are controlled by the AI core, so if enemy infiltrates the core (or AI goes rogue) the guns would be turned on the defenders.

Blast Doors: More resilient version of the normal doors, these would have increased price and energy consumption. Also if power relay is knocked out these doors would go to lockdown (if power relay is knocked out normal doors would become manually operatable, which is faster for enemy that breaching, and slower for friendly forces that just walking trough them) so do you block the access to your fuel storage with light door that can be rather easily passed trough by everyone if relay is down (risking enemy sabotage), or do you rather build heavy door that locks down without relay, and risk having to breach trough it yourself if theres fire that needs extinguishing.

Internal sensors room: This room will show you what happens in the rooms where there are no friendly crewmembers. If the sensor room is knocked out you won't see what happens in rooms without personnel, you won't see enemy movement of notice spreading fires, making it tasty targer for those enemy infiltration teams.

Command bridge variants and specialized-bridge-modules: Different sized bridges that need different numbers of pilots (and energy) to operate and effectively command ships of different sizes (for example: small bridge need 3 pilot for example and can effectively command 15 man crew, large bridge with 15 pilots that can command crew of 100) Too small bridge would decrease the morale and general efficiensy on the ship. The specialized bridge modules would be bridge extensions that are attached directly to the bridge. (examples. Tactical room: operated by three marines, increases the max crew size by 15 and gives all marines morale and efficiensy bonus. Weapon control room: operated by three pilots, improves the accuracy and reloading times of ship guns. Damage control room: operated by three engineers, increases the max crew size by 10 and increases the morale and performance of the engineers while repairing or maintaining ship.)

Heavy Armory: instead of arming the marines with basic suits and rifles it would arm them with combat exosceletons and heavier weapons. These armories would be much more expensive, energy hungry and demand a larger room and naturally make the fighting forve much more efficient, but also smaller and therefore more vulnerable. Together with brige options this would open up a ton of different desing philosophies for the ships: Combat ship could be a huge carrier with dozens of marines for cannon fodder, or a small high quality privateer craft with small bridge and tactical extension, housing a team of space hulk style killing machines (maybe the exos could even be launched directly to enemy ship in some kind of small landing pods instead of having to have the large hangar bay, further making it a small size option).Or maybe a medium ship with couple squads of marines and few heavy marines to support them.

Water and Air prosessing plants: These rooms would decrease the comsumption of water or air. Large crew ship would demand a lot of water or air tanks, so option to save some space for more important stuff by using water and air recycling plants would be welcome (example: you ship can go for 3 months with 4 air tanks it has, air recycling plant will recycle 75% of the used air so with it, the 4 tanks would be enough for 12 months, or you could remove three of the tanks and replace them with cargo unit and still go for 3 months) These recycling systems shoud be quite small but expensive and very power hungry (espesially the air one).

Weapon suggestions I have seen lot of great weapon suggestions on the forums so I'm only going to put here the ones I don't think have been suggested

Flak guns: These fast and accurate, small caliber weapons would be almost purely for anti-boarding-craft action. For lightly armed cargo ship a convetional anti-ship guns would be almost useless making it only possible to fight other lightly armed cargo ships that won't be attacking you anyway. Largest risk for these ships are enemy boarding parties trying to steal your ship and cargo intact. For small cargo ship with small marine force a flak gun would be an ideal option to delay or weaken the enemy attack so that heavier ships would have more time to come to rescue.

Anti-ship-turrets: Not sure if the game can support this, these guns should be destroyable even if there still is rooms around them. These turrets would be genarally placed on the highes or lowes decks so the actual gun part would stick out of the ships top or belly (or mid decks in places where there isn't rooms on them, pretty much the opposite of lift/stair placemet system) These turrets would have larger firing arc than the side turret but they would be more expensive and power consuming.

These suggestions would in my opinion add a lot of different options with up and down sides to the ship designing, hopefully helping to slow down the ship designs from going towards few optimized designs that can't be beaten with anything.

PS. This project looks really promising :) I have been waiting for a game like this for years. Hopefully it will go far. Good luck!

Post subject: Re: My suggestions
PostPosted: Thu 23. Aug 2012, 10:50 

I like your Ideas. Everything sounds quite evident.

What came to my mind as I read you entry:

• Corridor Type
    • Fortified Corridor
      • This is the generic "Shoot Things Up" approach. This Corridors are usually normal Corridors but when alert is rised some of the floor panels rise up and "transform" themselves into cover for your crew
    • Bottleneck Corridor
      • This Corridor starts and ends wide but it's middle is only half as wide. Only single Characters can pass through them at once.
    • predetermined breaking point corridor
      • This is a really extravagant Corridor. It mainly consists of two doors and a small corridor itself. If activated the doors close and are kept shut. Neither your own crew nor the enemy can open it again. If welded open the whole corridor collapses and removes any possibility to go through it.
      • If you are fast enough you can sacrifice an crewmember to "keep the door open" (as seen in many films) - this simply prevents the closing of the corridor doors. Crewmember can quickly pass by but as soon as the time is over the door closes and the crewmember is lost
      • The Idea behind this is that you can- if the situation calls for it - lock out enemies (and yourself) from certain parts of the ship. Like life support. If you simply don't want to let the enemy shut down your life support - place an PBP Corridor. But it is something like a last resort.

PostPosted: Sat 8. Sep 2012, 14:18 

Just tested the alpha and it looks great!

Here are couple UI suggestions that came to my mind while playing:

Menus:

Back to main menu: When you go to construction window for example, it would be nice to have a "back to main menu" button somewhere on the screen instead of having to press Esc and then confirm it.

Mouseover highlights: All buttons like "Desing Project" or "Load Desing" should be highlighted at mouseover. Now it sometimes kinda hard to see which texts are interactive.

Ship Designer:

Contract and Message tabs on mouseover: At the moment mouseover turns these windows transparent, at least to me this seems somewhat upside down (I usually tend to put my pointer on stuff I'm interested of having been used to tooltips). How about smaller, simplified tabs with tooltips on mouseover. For example: Mouseover on simple "Crew/Limit: X/Y" -value would open a tooltip with more detailed Pilots, Tecnicians, Medical personnel, Military and security -numbers. At the moment these values occupy large portion of the game screen all the time. This mouseover-tooltip system would leave more of the actual game screen visible and make it possible to give more detailed information about everything. Example: You mouseover "Air supply X moths" and you get a tooltip box with list of air tanks and other systems that effect air consumption and the crews size and it's air consuption. All in nice detailed numbes.

Room options on the mouse wheel: At the moment mouse wheel scrolls trough all the stuff in the game. When the different sized rooms and new modules come this list will get really overwhelming. How about limiting the number of scrollable options to a room type player has selected from the list. Example: I click "Pilot Quarters"-button on the crew quarters tab and scrolling the mouse wheel will only scroll between Small, Medium and Large version of this room. These options should also be accessible from a list that opens up by right clicking the main room type on the tab. Example: I wanna build Large Pilot Quarters 1) I click Crew Quarters tab 2) I right click Pilot quarters -> a list with all the Pilot Quarter types opens 3) I click the Large Pilot Quarters from the list. All this should help managing the growing amount of different rooms and modules.

Middle mouse button: At the moment this changes efficiency value. Seems rather rare function to be put on such an iportant button, how about putting the "remove room" on the middle mouse button instead? This would go a long way making this game playable with one hand freeing the other for sipping coffee at 3am when I'm stuck playing "just a little more" :)

Apologies if something I wrote is already there and I just hadn't noticed.

Oh, and one more thing that popped in my mind when I noticed the bug that allows you to place rooms outside the ship:

External Storages: External fuel, cargo, air and water storages. These would be really cheap and really easy to destroy (maybe there could also be more expensive armored versions). Fuel storages should be jettisonable for damage prevention. Maintainance of these storages would either happen at the space port (low budget cargo hauler for short trips in low risk areas) or by space walking repair bots or EVA suit wearing technicians (on longer range vessels). This would add a ton of new desing possibilities, like small military scout/patrol craft with jettisonable external fuel storages (just like fighter planes) or really cheap long range, small crew cargo hauler with loads of external storages maintained by repair droids controlled by the AI core (imagine the computer revolt possibilieties :mrgreen: ).

PostPosted: Fri 11. Jan 2013, 00:26 

Just tested 0.15 and I'm liking it. Especially the UI is much better than before and the power system is much more immersive. Can't wait for the next release :D

Here are some suggestions:

Juxtapositioning hatches: Preventing hatches from being built right next to each other is really, really annoying. The lift is the best example in this matter: hatches can only be placed on opposite sides of the lift, this often causes unnecessarily long detours to get to the room that would otherwise be right next to the lift. I know his has already been mentioned on the forums but I would really like to see this changed.

More liberal corridor/hatch placement policy: It would be nice if was possible to directly connect corridors and lifts/stairs to rooms instead of having to put a hatch between everything. Especially when placing several small rooms close to each other I often run into absurd situations where I can't connect the rooms that are right next to each other because they only have one adjascent block, hatches can't be built due to other hatches blocking that etc. Currently the corridors don't really help at all. (excluding the rare case where you need to connect rooms 3 slots apart, and even then you'll need to build two 1000cr hatches and one 200cr 1x corridor piece, instead of being able to build just one hatch between two corridor pieces)The 2x wide corridors are just too ostructive to really be of any use, for example, if you want to connect two rooms with only one adjacent block you'll need to build hilariously large corridors or "exploit" stairs/other small rooms.
I uploaded a pick to explain this little more clearly

In general connecting small and tightly packed rooms feels really clumsy and restricted at the moment. Adding some small sized 90 degree turn pieces would help a lot (the current 90 degree corridor together with two hatches is practically looking a 4x4 block, the same size as water tank for example, quite huge considering it's just for walking around the corner). What I would also like to see are 1x wide corridors and doors (maybe even 1x1 ladders for the smallest ships or as an emergency way?), they could be balanced by giving movement penalty when compared to 2x corridors (and maybe making figting in them hard as only the first guys can shoot). For example:
speed factor in 2x corridor: 1,20
elevator speed factor: 1,50
stairs speed factor: 0,80
speed factor in 1x corridor: 1,00
ladder speed factor: 0,30 (not usable by sentry guns)
speed factor in lightly-obstuctive rooms (crew quarters, fuel tank): 0,90
speed factor in obstructive rooms (torpedo room, the bridge): 0,70

Cargo hold and cooling unit placement now that the external hatches are in game, limiting cargo hold placement seems kinda pointless. It would be nice if the hold could be placed side-to-side with hull instead of head on, same thing with cooling units.
By the way, about the cooling hatches, would something like "Heat sink" be more fitting name for the "cooling hatch" since you can only lose heat in vacuum by radiation? Or are they actually hatches that can be closed to hide the ship's heat signature from the enemy?

Power networking and power outlet placement: At the moment every generator has it's separate power line and each module can only be connected to one generator. Would be great if you could connect several generators together to only need one big network or build several power lines to a single module to keep it powered even if one of the generators gets destroyed.
Also the power line must always be drawn to that one point in a room, it often forces you build the lines dangerously close to the outer hull. Having a power input point at least in every corner of module would make power network planning.

Water supply vs water purification: Instead of making water tanks require watertreatment module, they could be made more like either-or decision. Even at present day water could be recycled almost completely se it seems kinda weird that future space travellers would require half a waterpark and a water purification plant to sustain dozen people for couple months. Instead a short range ship could survive with simple water tank, but for longer voyages purification would become preferable option. Different quality purification modules could be used to increase the time the water onboard will be sufficient. example: 10 people need one tank of water for one month, small and cheap purifier makes that water tank last for 1,5 months and the large, energy draining and expensive purifier for six months. Adding a second water tank would double the time and so on.

Keep up the great work :)

Attachments:
File comment: 1. The most compact corridor desingn
2. Design that doesn't work because the corridors have to be ended in "end"-piece (although it might be I just don't know how to connect the corridor pieces to each other correctly)
3.More compact design using stairs instead of corridor.

example.jpg
example.jpg [ 195.52 KiB | Viewed 6763 times ]