Starship Corporation

Support Forum
It is currently Thu 28. Mar 2024, 11:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu 29. May 2014, 14:27 

Here you can see how navigation in ship battle missions will look and feel like. No combat yet. Depending on your ships maneuverability you can quickly turn or lock the line of sight to either close in or move away from the target, face the best protected side or your guns towards the enemy...

PostPosted: Thu 29. May 2014, 16:50 

Wonderful! I can't wait for this! It will be too fun outmaneuvering larger ships and bringing them to their knees! >:3 but first, a few questions.

1) Is it, and if so will it ever be, possible to control the heading and speed of the ship using directional key bindings such as WASD or ^<v>? personally, I would find ship control much easier if it weren't all relegated to mouse clicks but not having played with it yet I guess I shouldn't complain too soon ">.>

2) In the future do you plan for ship combat collisions to ever mimic what the large collision mission does instead of insta-killing the ship? I understand a situation where a smaller ship hitting a bigger ship would never when but if you consider two ships of the same size and class colliding if wouldn't be far-fetched to believe both could come out alive depending on velocity and what-not. Plus just imagine coming out of a fight victorious because you decided to use your ship's shields and armor aggressively >:3

3) Regarding boarding parties, in the pitch video I saw a boarding ship moving rather slowly towards it's target while under fire, I assumed the target ships, main engines were down or some such, will this be the only, or primary method of boarding? (disregarding those crazy space jumping soldiers of course) If so I imagine it would be a painfully difficult strategy for larger ships thanks such as battleships and am curious how those might be made vulnerable if so.

PostPosted: Thu 29. May 2014, 20:40 

Looks awesome, but the ending sucks :D

"Hätte,Hätte Fahrradkette" Peerbär

Wich***r, A***hloch, Hure***oh, dein Mutter hat ich schon. Weiser Mann

PostPosted: Thu 29. May 2014, 21:31 

I'm not sure what I saw in the video: If you move with a certain speed v in direction A than turning the front of the ship towards direction B only using the side thrusters, will the ship...
a) still move with speed v in direction A
b) move with speed v in direction B
c) do something else

Because technically you would just float in direction A regardless of your orientation unless you accelarate in direction (B-A)...

PostPosted: Sat 31. May 2014, 02:58 

Royal_Flush wrote:
I'm not sure what I saw in the video: If you move with a certain speed v in direction A than turning the front of the ship towards direction B only using the side thrusters, will the ship...
a) still move with speed v in direction A
b) move with speed v in direction B
c) do something else

Because technically you would just float in direction A regardless of your orientation unless you accelarate in direction (B-A)...

In laymen's terms what is happening in the video is option B where the ship is constantly being pushed forward by the engines and the side thrusters force the heading of the ship either port or aft (left or right) but because of the velocity of the ship the turning is not instant, it is gradual, therefore it only happens so quickly

remember, the engines don't stop firing, so yes, for a moment the ship is travelling in a direction that it is not facing but after a short burn the main force of motion SHOULD be in front (depending on the size and mass of the ship of course)

for the sake of game difficulty I don't think ships will be following realistic velocity(inertia?) in space simply because it is just easier in the heat of battle to change ship heading than to constantly calculate how far your enemy is and how long engines need to burn to intercept , but we shall see, I would personally be fine with either form of ship control.